Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Chest Pain Forum

sore lump on the center of my chest.

I'm not sure how i got it, but i have a sore lump in the center of my chest. I'm a little freaked out because its really sore and i'm not sure what it is. any advice will help at this point. thank you.
Did you find this post helpful?

User Profile
replied July 18th, 2013
Hi, and thanks for your query on eHealth forum!

In all probability it is a boil or hair follicle infection. You can treat this by applying a warm cloth to the area twice or thrice a day alternating with antibacterial cream. This encourages the pus to come to the surface, make a mouth and drain. Once the boil has drained, the area should be washed with antibacterial soap and an antibacterial cream applied and kept dry, bandaged and sterile. You can also keep it open intermittently during the day.

However, if you have any medical problems like diabetes, please consult a doctor, and do not wait for it to heal. Also if the boil appears to spread, the area around it becomes progressively red, then also consult a doctor. This may need incision and drainage. Hope this helps. Take care!

Did you find this post helpful?
Tags: lump
Quick Reply
Must Read
What is pneumonia? Learn basic facts about pneumonia here, plus how doctors define the different types of pneumonia that people can get....
Some people are more at risk of getting pneumonia than others. Are you one of them? Learn more about how you get pneumonia and who is at risk here....
Chest pain is typical during cases of pneumonia. But what other signs and symptoms should you look for? Know when to seek medical help by starting here....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Chest Pain , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.