Medical Questions > Lifestyle > Fitness Forum

sore calfs after run

ok so i used to run a bit in highschool about 5-6 years ago, and im joinin the navy soon. and decided to start runnin to get in shape for basic training.

so every Wednesday we go for a mile and a half run and numerous different exercises.

before we do all this we get about 15 minutes to do different stretches. recently ive made sure to stretch out my calfs very good. and it seems no matter how well i stretch them they still get VERY sore right after my run. no other part of my legs hurt. so i relax a minute and try to stretch them out a lil but they are just to sore to really do it. i drink at least 2 bottles of water each time we work out.

recently ive bought some potassium tablets and a one a day regimen.

anyone have any suggestions? i got about 3 months before i ship out and i want to be able to run the 1.5 in about 13 minutes atleast currently im at about 16-17 minutes. i also bought a new pair of nikes that i been wearing. and have been thinkin about gettin a different pair of runnin shoes.

any help is appreciated greatly sunny

thanks

edit: also i was thinkin about buyin some new shoes

the pair i have are nikes runnin shoes and were about 90$ and they arent very comfortable after runnin in them for a while.

thanks again Smile
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied August 9th, 2008
Experienced User
What part of your legs tire more or less depends on the length of your strides. Larger strides generally recruit the quads, hamstrings, and rest of your upper legs more while shorter strides generally recruit calves and the rest of your lower legs more.
|

replied August 9th, 2008
Hmmm i didnt kno that im not a very tall person tho only about 5'10, but i will try to take some longer strides see if that helps out at all. never thought of that. thanks Very Happy
|
Must Read
What is the medical definition of obesity? How is obesity different than being overweight. Basic medical facts on obesity here....
We review the simple cause of obesity here, and help you evaluate whether or not you are at risk of becoming obese. ...
Click here for basic signs of weight gain, and information on when to seek medical help if you think that you are becoming overweight....