Medical Questions > Parenting > Parenting Community Forum

Sons behavior, need sugestions

I have a 10 year old son which is deaf. He was born with CMV complications. As a result he is deaf, has staring sezures, and slite CP.

For the most part he is well behaved and we have no issue. But as with all children there is misbehavior. This where I need help. We he has done something wrong and we tell hime time out he will just shut down and absolutly comply with anything you say. Even takeing away privlages will not get him to do anything. All he will do is sit there and say no.

There is a comunication barrier since his first language is ASL and mine is English. Sometimes We cant understand him or get him to understand us. Yes I know, Take classes. Well takes money and where I live there realy isnt many resouces for this. In the entire school system only 2 are deaf.

Let me know what you think

thanks

-Del
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied July 10th, 2008
Extremely eHealthy
I know this isn't what you want to hear, but you really need to take some classes. You have to be able to understand and communicate with your son. Is there a special school just for deaf children that he could attend. I live in a very small town with small towns all around, but there are a lot of resources for handicapped children. Maybe go to your local health or child services department, they may be able to help you. Sorry I couldn't be more help. Good luck to you.
|

replied July 10th, 2008
Experienced User
He already goes to a school just for the deaf. It is 80 miles away. Although they do offer classes at a low rate, the gas prices would kill us. I need to find something more local. I think there may be a person that teaches at his school not to far away. I will check into that and if so see if they will teach me.

This still does not adress the behavior problem though. I need sugestions on that.

Thanks

-Del
|

replied July 11th, 2008
Extremely eHealthy
Maybe once you are able to get past the communication barrier, his behavior will improve. Communication is key to healthy relationship between people, whether it be husband and wife, parent and child, supervisor and employee, etc. I've never had any experience around deaf children, so I really can't offer any other advice. Sorry. Good luck to you though, I hope you are able to figure something out.
|

replied July 11th, 2008
Especially eHealthy
i agree, his behavior is probably related to the frustration of the communication barrier.

you say you don't have any resources available, yet you're on the internet. i know there are many many sites that could teach you ASL, there are probably even plenty of video tutorials. have your son help you learn.
|
Must Read
What is chicken pox? And what are the stages of the infection? Click here for chicken pox basics....
How does chicken pox spread? Click here for information on who is most at risk of contracting chicken pox and how children and adults get chicken pox....
What do chicken pox look like? We outline the signs and symptoms here with info on possible complications and when you should seek medical help for the pox....