Medical Questions > Parenting > Kids Health and Pediatrics Forum

son unexplained recurring fever

My 4 yr old son has recently had a spout of unexplained fevers. He is very uncomfortable and antiobiotics have had no effect. Even Ibupropen and Tylenol fever reducer have little effect on him. He complains his body hurts. The only answer the doctor ever gives us is it is a virus and they prescribe an antibiotic that doesnt work. We are beginning to get worried. Have no idea the next steps to take or what tests to requst. Thoughts?
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied March 14th, 2009
Supporter
First, find a new doctor. Even I know that antibiotics don't work on viruses. In fact, I've had recurrent fevers since Wednesday, which is why I noticed your post. I went to the emergency room when my temp hit 101.5 (My normal body temperature is around 97.5 so that a four degree temperature for me.)
One of the first things my doctor told me was that it appeared to be a virus but that he would not give me any antibiotics because they have no effect on viruses. I had a flu shot in November so, even though the vaccine doesn't cover all forms of the flu, he thought it was unlikely that I had contracted one of the rarer forms. I called my doctor's office on Friday- by then my temp had gone down to something like 99.9- and was told if my temp hit 103.1 again, it's highest so far, that I should go to the ER and ask them to do blood work. So, if you haven't had blood drawn and tested yet, you need to insist on it the next time you go to the doctor.
|
Did you find this post helpful?
Quick Reply