Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Gland Disorders Forum

son has elevated Prolactin level

Hello,

My 19 years old son has elevated Prolactin level 27.7 (range 2.2-18.5). He also did the lab work for : Estradiol, Testosterone, LH, T4, T3, TSH, Glucose, Lipid Panel, Beta HCG, Comprehensive Metabolic Panel and everything was normal. Would you please advise what this elevated Prolactin level could be? What other tests he should do to get to the bottom of it? My son is vegan but he eats nutritious food, the last time he checked his B12 it was normal. Thank you very much!
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper User Profile
|

User Profile
replied February 8th, 2016
Thank you for asking at EHF
I read your question and i understand your concern. Solely elevated prolactin levels with all other labs normal indicate likely an age related growth spurt. At the teen age breast tenderness is normal and that may give a slight surge in prolactin levels. However you should consult an endocrinologist and let them sort out other odds.

I hope it helps. Consult your doctor as our advice is just for education purpose only.

Regards
Khan

|
Did you find this post helpful?
Users who thank Dr Shafi Ullah Khan for this post: ikap 
Tags: Vegan
Quick Reply
Must Read
What does it mean to have low levels of thyroid hormone in the body? We outline how doctors define hypothyroidism here....
What medical conditions cause hypothyroidism? And what puts you at risk of developing these conditions? More hypothyroid basics here....
When are symptoms of hypothyroidism serious? When should you seek medical help. Click here to learn when doctors recommend you come in for a visit....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Gland Disorders , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.