Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Neurological Disorders Forum

Something seriously wrong with the nerves in my face,tongue

User Profile
I have something seriously wrong with the nerves in my face,tongue,& behind my ear on my right side. Ive had it since I was about 16. Some parts of my face feel numb and I cannot move my right side as well as the left but(i even have to look in the mirror to see if its moving at all cause it doesnt feel like it). At the same time that it has a numb sensation I sometimes feel extreme pain for hours that even just a strand of hair touching a spot on my face can trigger. I also have twitching from my mouth to my cheek. A dr that just listened to symptoms and did no tests said it was trigeminal neuralgia but im not convinced. I got my tongue pierced when I was 16 and within a day or two these symptoms started to accur. The dr said it wouldnt be the cause. My question is is it possible that a tongue piercing could have caused nerve damage like that? And to get actual testing and a an exact diagnosis would I see a neurologist for the facial nerves?

Did you find this post helpful?

User Profile
replied February 23rd, 2013
Womens Conditions Answer A42290
Welcome to the ehealthforum and I am really glad to help you out. The symptoms which you have described are seen in patients suffering from trigeminal neuralgia. The piercing of the tongue is not known to produce such symptoms and thus you need not be concerned about the same. Trigeminal neuralgia is a clinical diagnosis and ne doesn’t need to do any tests to confirm the same. I’ll suggest you should consult a neurologist for the same and seek an opinion. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care.

Did you find this post helpful?
This question has been answered by the doctor. This topic is now open for public discussion, however no comments below this point will be answered by a doctor.
Must Read
How can you tell if a headache is serious, or not? What types of headaches are there? Get started learning the facts about headache here....
Do you know when to seek help for headache symptoms? Learn more about symptoms of the four different types of headaches...and when to go to a doctor here....
Headaches can be caused by various medical conditions. Learn which tests doctors use to diagnose problem headaches...and who you should see to start diagnosis....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Neurological Disorders , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.