Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Tuberculosis Forum

Some questions about Tuberculosis

Some background about me, if this is important. I'm 19 years old, male, 4th year college student with around 4-6 hrs of sleep everyday. I have a history of Pneumonia, but it didn't fully develop into Pneumonia.

I just have a few questions about TB that has been concerning me for a good while. (To make my explanation easier, i will use the actual dates of importance). I apologize for the lengthy explanations and the many questions.

Jan 29, 2019, Morning - I woke up having this weird urge to cough, but somehow my mouth feels different. Spitting out the supposed to be phlegm only. I instead got a phlegm, but it is covered in blood. Happened two times. Size of it was about two handfuls. Color of blood was darkish. Had an immediate check-up with the doctor, and was advised to have an x-ray.

Jan 30 - Feb 1 - Continued my daily routine, had to mandatory sleep at 9pm, so i get 8 hours of sleep (i wake up at 5am every Wed-Fri, which is my school schedule). Everything was still feeling well, and the bloody phlegm didn't occur again. But i started to have fever from Jan 31 up to the afternoon of February 2.

Feb 2 - Follow up check up, X-Ray results revealed i have TB that might be starting to develop, on the LEFT lung. Doctor noted that most TB infections start on the RIGHT lung. Currently scheduled for Sputum Tests on February 4. Fever also slowly subsided at around evening

Evening of February 2 - Just as i was about to sleep, i had the urge of coughing blood again, and when i did, i was right, except this time, it wasn't just two handfuls. If i got it right, maybe the blood i coughed out was about the size of a mug. The blood only started to come out on the phlegm, but when i started to vomit (caused by drinking too much water), the entire vomit was also covered with BLOOD, which just caused me to panic.

February 3 - Everything is fine again, Sputum tests on Feb. 4, Bloody Phlegm didn't occur again, yet?

So, the actual questions. What happened to me on the evening of February 2, is that just normal for a person with TB? Or am i in the road for death? Because the doctor said that the X-Ray results said that the TB that was detected was only starting and i'm not sure what to believe in anymore (i forgot the medical term stated on the X-Ray result.), Second question, what are the precautions i should be taking aside from the face mask, the 8 hour sleep, the regular intake of water, and a heavy diet (according to parents)? Third question, how contagious am i? Should i be staying away from people without the mask? Especially the classroom? the house? from my peers? How should i cope with this? Fourth question, is it true that when you take TB Medications for 2 weeks, you start to be non contagious?

Again, i apologize for the number of questions and the lengthy explanation. I just cant stop thinking about this disease and how it affects my lifestyle. If there are also other tips you can provide, i'll be more grateful for it. I just hope this disease won't kill me faster.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied October 8th, 2019
Thank you for asking at Ehealth forum!

I read your question and I understand your concern.
Streaks of blood in sputum is due to inflammation in upper airways and its not worrisome. Coughing up blood after heavy vomiting is due to small tear in lower end of food pipe. If you are sputum negative then you don't need any precautions.
Once an individual turned out to be sputum positive then he become sputum negative in 2-4 weeks.
There is no specific recommendation regarding diet.
I hope it helps. Stay in touch with your healthcare provider for further guidance as our answers are just for education and counselling purposes and cannot be an alternative to actual visit to a doctor.
Take care
Khan
|
Did you find this post helpful?
Tags: Pneumonia, Diet
Quick Reply
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Tuberculosis , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.