Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Epilepsy Forum

"Some form of Epilepsy"-(diagnosis) or TLE?

Hello,

I was in the hospital when i was 10. Several EEGs and two MRIs were done, but the doctors could not precisely diagnose my condition. They called it "some form of epilepsy". Recently i have had slight social problems (with my roommate who accused me of taking drugs, which i don't) because of general "eccentric" behavior and general and especially verbal memory problems. Because of this, i more than ever want to know what precisely my condition is.

So i read a lot about different kinds of epilepsy, and i have only found one (Temporal lobe epilepsy) which may or may not be the "some form of epilepsy" that was diagnosed when i was younger.
I hope somebody can shed some light into this.

During the seizures (in my childhood) i experienced severe visual hallucinations, synesthesia (felt like a mashup between visual and tactile sense), terror, and deja-vus among other symptoms and feelings which i find very hard to describe. The seizures lasted between 2 to 15 minutes, and usually started in the night. Sometimes i could not recall all parts of the seizure. When i got older, my mother told me that i was running around screaming - i have no memory of that.
This happened about 1-2 times a month, and got rarer as i grew older. The last time i had such a seizure (but milder) was when i was 18, i am 21 now.

Nowadays, seizures only happen if i have high fever. I get very mild seizures once or twice a week, usually in the evening. These include slight and harmless visual hallucinations and deja-vus. When i have fever, these seizures tend to be stronger and longer.

Generally, i have a hard time recalling words/names in conversations, sometimes even the names of people close to me.
I also find myself having strong delusional thoughts for periods lasting 2-3 weeks, which happens about once a year ("everyone stares at me", "my friends are talking trash about me behind my back" etc). I find it very hard thinking about anything else during these periods. Those thoughts at least one time resulted in utter hate (and the breaking of long lasting friendship), and it was only a few weeks later that i realized that my thoughts were completely unfounded.

That's about it.
I really hope this is enough information to specify what type of epilepsy i am having, because i personally find "some form of epilepsy" a bit too ambiguous Razz
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied February 17th, 2018
Thank you for asking at Ehealth forum!

I read your question and i understand your concern.
Your symptoms are slightly consistent with focal seizures with dyscognitive features.
Temporal lobe epilepsy is characterised by auditory hallucinations not visual.
You need thorough neurological and psychiatric assessment.
I hope it helps. Stay in touch with your healthcare provider for further guidance as our answers are just for education and counselling purposes and cannot be an alternative to actual visit to a doctor.
Take care
Khan
|
Did you find this post helpful?
Tags: Epilepsy
Quick Reply
Must Read
Click here to learn more about what causes epilepsy and the different types of epilepsy. Start here to learn about the basics of this type of brain disorder. ...
Get the facts on epilepsy types. Identify signs & symptoms of epilepsy. We outline different types of epileptic seizures so you know when to seek help....
How can you know if you're having an epileptic seizure? We outline how doctors clinically diagnose epilepsy and other seizures here....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Epilepsy , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.