Medical Questions > Mental Health > Anxiety and Stress Forum

Somatic indications of anxiety panic disorder

User Profile
Hi.
I've suffered with Anxiety/Panic disorder for about two years now. It has just recently been playing havi with me and im experiencing some pretty severe physical reactions. On top of constant worry and fear, ive developed severe stomach pains just below the sternum, sharp pains all through my chest and more recently pains up my neck bilaterally. Ive seen a Dr too many times and am just being fobbed off now because they say its anxiety & stress as i have ALOT of stressors in my life at the moment. Im also seeing a psychologist doing CBT, instead of getting better im getting worse. I've gotton to the point where it feels like im going insane because i cant control this, its snowballing. Can my stress and anxiety be causing all my chest pains, they hurt pretty back, all ECG's done have been normal. The neck pain is a worry too, could this be anxiety too. And the stomach pains, ive been refered for a gastroscopy to investigate. Please help. Desperate to get past this. Thanks

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied March 15th, 2010
Anxiety and Stress Answer A10661

The symptoms you reported (chest pain, pain stomach below the sternum, pain in the neck, normal ECG, diagnosed with anxiety/panic disorder, treated with cognitive behavioral therapy, no medications, normal ECGs) might be a somatic presentation of the anxiety/panic disorder.

It is very important to know how long the pain exists. If the pain stays for longer than five minutes, then the heart might suffer actual damage if the condition is heart-related. But if the ECG shows no problems and laboratory tests including heart enzymes are within normal values, then the symptoms are likely to be caused by the anxiety/panic disorder.

You might want to visit a psychiatrist for a physical examination and evaluation. Cognitive behavioral therapy is good, but it simply does not work for everyone. The psychiatrist might recommend different anxiety medications which would be able to improve your condition very soon.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
This question has been answered by the doctor. This topic is now open for public discussion, however no comments below this point will be answered by a doctor.
Must Read
Learn how doctors clinically diagnose one of twelve kinds of anxiety disorders...and which doctors you should see for an anxiety diagnosis....
Anxiety disorders can affect anyone. But do you know the common signs and symptoms of anxiety disorders? Learn more now....
Anxiety is a normal, healthy emotion when experienced during specific moments. But do you know the signs that anxiety has gotten out of control? Read more here...
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Anxiety and Stress , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.