Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Urinary and Bladder Disorders Forum

Solving incontinence with medications and Kegel exercises

User Profile
Dear Doctor

I have found the medication called Vesicare not effective even at the full dose which then gave me another problem of making me not be able to urinate at all at times. I had to strain to go.

I have just had a urodynamics test to test the pressure and capacity of my bladder and to check if I am emptying fully.

When they were filling it up, I told them when I fist felt the need to go and also when I would be really looking for a toilet. I tried to hold on while they were filling my bladder up as long as I could but I only managed to get to the 200cc (or thereabouts, maybe under) before my urge/full bladder sensation was just too painful and unbearable. Afterwards, they said that my bladder capacity is quite low and usually the healthy human bladder holds around 500cc of urine.

They also said that my bladder is not emtying properly as when I go it still keeps some urine in.

I would like to ask what sort of treatments may my urogynacologist do for these two problems?

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied November 28th, 2008
Urinary and Bladder Disorders Answer A5003
Current medical status: Urinary frequency and urge/full feeling in bladder with occasional tender/sore feeling in my urethra where urine comes out. I go at least 4 times at night and about 8 times in the day, maybe more depending on the amount I drink. I do not leak.
Current medical treatment: None as of yet as it is still under investigation. Though I have tried a tablet called Vesicare which is an anticholinergic but have had no improvement in symptoms.

Given the information you provided, you might be experiencing urinary incontinence due to urge incontinence. Urge incontinence is involuntary loss of urine accompanied with a sudden need or urge to urinate. It can be accompanied with stress incontinence when it is called mixed incontinence. Adequate medications prescribed by your urologist and Kegel exercises can help you solve your problem.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
Must Read
One in five women will develop a UTI during her life. But what are UTIs? and what causes this type of infection?...
Why are women more at risk of developing UTI than men? Read here for more on what causes urinary tract infections and what puts you at risk of UTI....
A UTI can affect the bladder, kidney, ureters and/or the urethra. Learn which symptoms indicate urinary tract infection, complications and when to seek help....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Urinary and Bladder Disorders , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.