Medical Questions > Cancer > Thyroid Cancer Forum

solid mass in my mid right thyroid lube. no calcification?

User Profile
Hello! I just had an ultrasound of my thyroid and there is a 2.6x2x1.9cm well-defined solid mass in my mid right thyroid lube. no calcification identified. what does it mean? Thanks!

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied April 11th, 2013
Thyroid Cancer Answer A42906
Welcome to e health forum.

The information given by you just mentions presence of a lump in the thyroid gland, confirmed by the ultrasound.

A single, well defined solid mass without calcification, is most likely due to benign masses of the thyroid gland.

Common benign forms of thyroid solitary lesions, can be due to adenomas (overgrowth of benign thyroid tissue), thyroid cysts and hashimoto's thyroiditis.

A solid single well defined mass , makes it more likely to be a adenoma.

But additional investigations including - thyroid function tests, thyroid nuclear scan and a Fine needle aspiration biopsy would be helpful to make a final diagnosis.

A thyroid function tests as well as thyroid nuclear scan helps differentiate between a hyperactive thyroid gland tissue and a Hypofunctioning tissue.

A fine needle aspiration biopsy, is a procedure, where in a needle is introduced into the concerned nodule and a sample of the tissue is aspirated, and then examined to study the histology. This helps to confirm the final diagnosis and also rules out benign or malignant conditions.

Based on the above information as well as other medically relevant history further steps for treatment may be taken, which may include medications to treat the symptoms and or surgery to remove the lump.

You might consult with your treating doctor or a endocrinologist who can provide you more information and guidance regarding further management.

I hope this helps.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Thyroid Cancer , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.