Medical Questions > Cancer > Cancers Forum

Soft tissue mass possible Sarcoma?

Must Read
Millions of Americans are diagnosed with cancer. But what exactly is cancer and how does it affect the body?...
What puts you at risk for developing cancer? Learn how you can avoid or reduce exposure to risk factors for cancer here....
Cancer can occur anywhere in the body. But what are the signs and symptoms of cancer? Learn about general symptoms of cancer here....
User Profile
I've had this bump growing on me since I was in my teens. It's located on my upper right butt cheek. It started out super small, like a BB. Over the years it has grown slowly to what it is now. I am now 40 years old, so over the last 25 years or so, it has grown to what it is now, it's been a pretty slow growing thing. I finally got health insurance and decided to get this looked at. My primary doctor referred me to a surgery department, and they ordered a CT scan with contrast. Below is the report:

EXAMINATION:
CT Pelvis with IV Contrast

EXAM DATE:
10/18/2018 2

TECHNIQUE:
Standard protocol CT images of the pelvis were performed with intravenous contrast. Coronal and sagittal images were reconstructed.

IV Contrast:
The amount and type of contrast are recorded in the medical record.

INDICATION:
right buttock soft tissue mass

COMPARISON:
None

ENCOUNTER:
Not applicable

FINDINGS:
There is a somewhat lobular mass in subcutaneous fat posterior to the right gluteus maximus muscle. This measures 9.3 x 3.2 x 7.9 cm. There are areas of peripheral enhancement. No similar masses are seen elsewhere.
There is no lymph node enlargement. No free fluid is seen in the pelvis. The bladder and prostate are unremarkable. There are no discrete osseous lesions.

Impression:
Large subcutaneous soft tissue mass with some peripheral enhancement. Nonspecific. Histologic evaluation is recommended.

On my follow up appointment, they showed me the actual CT scan and showed me how it is located only in the fatty tissue, that it doesn't appear to be growing into the underlying muscle. It comes close, there's a thin line between the muscle and the mass, but nowhere do they appear to connect.

The doctors originally scheduled me for surgery today to remove it, but last night I got a call from the surgeon and she told me that she conferred with the doctors above her, and they said they wanted to do a biopsy first to determine if it is Sarcoma. So she cancelled my surgery and instead of doing a surgery today, I went for a biopsy. It was quick and easy and they hope to have my results in a few days. In the meantime, I've been researching Sarcoma and it doesn't look like a fun thing to have. I was told that if it is Sarcoma, that they will have to do radiation treatments first to attempt to shrink it before they do surgery, and of course, if it is not Sarcoma, they're just gonna remove it.

My question is, how likely is this to be a Sarcoma. I would think that if this thing has in fact been Sarcoma this whole time, I would have had some type of issue with it over the years, am I correct? Will a soft tissue mass suddenly turn into Sarcoma one day? The thing doesn't ever cause me any problems, there's no pain associated with it unless I really squeeze on it or scrape it up against something really hard, and even then, the pain is short lived. On occasion it will get kinda itchy, but otherwise, it never gave me a problem. I've read that Sarcomas are pretty rare, only about 12,000 cases a year. However, I also read that if it is in fact a sarcoma, that the odds of metastasizing to the lungs is pretty high, and that if that happens, the chances of survival are pretty slim, even with treatment and surgery to remove it from the lung.

I know this is a long post, but I am trying to be as thorough with my information as possible. Thanks in advance to anyone who has some input.
Jay
Did you find this post helpful?
|
Quick Reply