My 29 year old son wears earplugs when he attends concerts. Today is the first day he says he feels/hears "soft static in his right ear". I am just starting to do reading about tinnitus and/or ruptured ear drum. Because this is the first day he is experiencing this opposed to an ongoing condition, I am not sure what words I want to use in my google search.

Should he see an ear, nose and throat doctor or an audiologist?

I am a widow and this is the first medical issue my son has had so I am somewhat nervous as I write this.

Your advice is greatly appreciated.
Did you find this post helpful?

replied November 29th, 2016
My son took benedryl and after a few minutes, most of the static was gone. Guessing he has fluid and should see an ear nose and throat doctor.
Did you find this post helpful?

User Profile
replied August 1st, 2017
Thank you for asking at Ehealth forum!

I read your question and i understand your concern. He needs auditory functions so audiologist would be better. Exposed to high pitched and amplitude sounds of concert for long can cause this problem. all he need to do is cut the exposure.

I hope it helps. Stay in touch with your healthcare provider for further guidance as our answers are just for education and counselling purposes and cannot be an alternative to actual visit to a doctor.
Take care
Did you find this post helpful?
Quick Reply
Must Read
Do you know the three main reasons we cough? Learn common causes of cough and when coughing might indicate a more serious health problem....
Coughing is normal. But what can cause more troublesome coughs? Learn more about possible causes of cough here....
When should you see a doctor about cough symptoms? When are symptoms a sign of further complications? Learn about cough symptoms basics here....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Ear, Nose and Throat Disorders , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.