Medical Questions > Cancer > Skin Cancer Forum

soft purplish spot remains. might it be cancerous?

User Profile
Hello,

About a year ago I noticed a discolored boil or bump on the side of my crack. It didn't hurt most of the time and sometimes caused discomfort and, at times, mild pain, and always seemed to be leaking scentless fluid. The bump went away and I forgot about it. The place the bump itself was is now soft and only a purplish spot remains. But now the bottom of my crack is dark purple or black and the immediate surrounding area(about two or three centimeters) is now hard. As before, there is no pain or strange sensation and I retain feeling in the area but I am concerned that it might be cancerous.

Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper User Profile DoctorQuestion
|

User Profile
replied February 8th, 2012
Skin Cancer Answer A31297
Hello and welcome to e health forum.

From the description provided it seems that you had a infected pustule or a small abscess, which healed over time and has resulted in a scarring of the involved site.

These changes are normal, and do not indicate any form of cancer.

The chances of cancer formation, associated with chronic inflammation, is very less.

You may consult with a doctor, who can examine you and clear all your doubts.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
Must Read
What is melanoma? This section give you a quick intro to this particular type of skin cancer, including the entire range of types of melanomas....
Doctors are pretty certain that ultraviolet radiation plays a role in the development of melanoma. Which other activities put you at risk of melanoma?...
What does melanoma look like? Learn to identify early signs and symptoms of melanoma with this full description of symptoms of melanoma here....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Skin Cancer , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.