Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Digestive and Bowel Disorders Forum

soft and a bit hard green stools (not diarrhea)

User Profile
Hi, my name is Johnny. I'm an adult male aged 23 years old.

I've been having soft and a bit hard green stools (not diarrhea) for a little over two weeks now. Sometimes I even find specs of blood in my stool. I already saw two doctors! I first went to see a family doctor and he thinks it's something viral. He's having me do a stool test and a barium enema. I found the stool test he gave me odd. It's not the usual cup thing where you put your stool in. It was rather a tube like thing where I had to scoop my stool into. I already gave in my stool sample this morning and I won't get results for another two weeks. My barium enema test isn't until September 12! I'm really worried because I've been having cramps and have been having green stools for over two weeks now!

The second doctor I saw was at my local hospital. I waited in the emergency for almost 6 hours. I wanted a second opinion so this doctor had me do a blood test and the results came up negative. He too thinks I may have something viral or it can be stress related. He believes that my problem is benign and non-cancerous. He wants a sample of my stool only if it's completely liquid. Why is that? Why can't he test my stool as is? I found that rather stranger.. Can I trust the results of the blood test or is it not enough to determine the cause of my green stools and cramps? What worries me is that I don't know exactly what he was checking with the blood test. Do you think he forgot to check other organs like the stomach, liver, gallbladder and pancreas? He might of only checked my bowels. What do you think he was checking with the blood test he gave me? I'm really not sure.

If you have read everything, thanks a lot. What is your feeling? Can you narrow it down to three potential problems or ever one? Can it possibly be cancer and the doctors made a misdiagnosis? I also suffer from anxiety so I fear the worst possible thing. I would really appreciate your knowledge and feedback! Thanks and get back to me as soon as you can!

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied September 8th, 2014
Digestive and Bowel Disorders Answer A49155
Thank you for asking

Cancer is quite overrated these days. Age of 23 is too young for cancer. Plus the presentation is quite different. 2 weeks duration with alternating bowel habits and slight cramps o's definitely a viral infections and it my pass. Soft and fibrous diet and rest for a while would suffice.

Slight Antispasmodics for the cramps and trusting your gastroenterologist for management is needed.

I hope it helps. Visit our gastrointestinal health centre for further guidance.

Take care

|
Did you find this post helpful?
Must Read
Feeling constipated? Do you know how constipation is medically defined? Get the basics on this common gastrointestinal complaint here....
Are you experiencing severe or chronic constipation? Learn about causes of constipation here....
Constipation is defined differently by different people. Learn to identify signs and symptoms of constipation and know when to ask for medical help....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Digestive and Bowel Disorders , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.