Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Pancreas Disorders Forum

Sodium Valproate Induced Pancreatitis?

User Profile
I'm worried that I may have chronic pancreatitis caused by taking Epilim Chrono - Sodium Valporate (600-800mg per day) over the last 4 years or so for bipolar. Previously I was on Olanzapine. However CP has not been confirmed yet, and it is possible it could be a stomach ulcer - although I don't get heartburn. I first noticed a dull or burning upper left abdominal pain mainly at nights about 6 months ago, accompanied by nausea. I stopped taking Epilim, and manage now without bipolar meds. My doctor thought the problem was gastric, but Ranitidine and Omaprazole and other antacids only seem to reduce nausea, and not the pain. I now get quite bad pains in my upper left abdomen and across the middle of my back which wakes me up at 2 or 3 am every night, with nausea and sometimes feverishness. I take paracetemol when required and find that sitting upright helps a bit. I've also recently stopped alchohol - although I'm not a heavy or regular drinker. The pain carries on during the day, although is not as bad as at nights and early morning. I've had lots of tests and consulted different doctors. A blood test showed that liver function tests were slightly elevated, but amylase and blood sugar was normal. A stool test for H Pylori was negative. I had an abdominal ultrasound test as one doctor thought kidney stones might be the issue, but that didn't show any problems. I was told however that the ultrasound could not see the pancreas or stomach lining properly. I have another appointment with my GP and hope to be referred to a gastroenterologist for further tests and treatment. I'd welcome any suggestions, shared experience, prognosis or thoughts.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied October 1st, 2014
I've now had a CT scan and a gastroscopy and my pancreas and stomach lining are fine. So maybe my pains are a combination of general back pain, indigestion and constipation. I plan to manage these problems with a combination of Zantac, Paracetemol and Senokot tablets. It looks like Epilim didn't cause any damage to my organs, however may have contributed to general digestion problems.
|
Did you find this post helpful?
Must Read
Gastritis is a general term for stomach disorder. Learn more about types of gastritis, and the anatomy of the stomach in this basic intro to gastritis....
Gastritis occurs when the stomach lining becomes irritated and inflamed. But what can cause this medical condition? Are you at risk of this stomach disorder?...
Gastritis, or stomach inflammation, can be either acute or chronic. Learn how to tell the difference and know when to seek medical help by reading here....