User Profile
I am a 57 year old female and had an echo stress done for pvc's and shortness of breath. Below is the results of my echo stress test. Cardiologist tells me that he does not think it is my heart that is causing my symptoms of palps, sob etc. He said my lung pressure is a little high and to see a pulmonolgist.

I did see a pulmonologist and he did a chest xray ( completely normal ). I had pulmonary breathing testing done, completely normal. My oxygen pulse was 97%.
My only symptom to date is sob at rest and with activity. I have had sob for approximately 15 years. My pvc's have subsided. The pulmonologist said to have an echocardiogram in about a year. Both my primary and my pulmonologist believe my sob could very well be anxiety. ( I pray it is anxiety!) My shortness of breath is where I can not get a satisfying breath to fill my lungs to capacity. This happens about every five minutes or so......does NOT wake me while I am sleeping. I exercise approx 3 times a week an

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied July 13th, 2010
Lungs and Respiratory Disorders Answer A14214
Hi and welcome to the forum! I am glad that I can help you.

You want to know whether sobs can be caused by anxiety.

Anxiety increases the excitation of the nervous system, causing an increased heart rate, inhalations and blood pressure. Anxiety can also be the cause of headaches, shortness of breath and chest pain, without any underlying medical condition.

Given the data that you described, it is likely that you experience the sobs due to anxiety. You may consider taking vitamins from the B-complex. You may also consider taking other anxiolitic medications such as diazepam, alprazolam or sertraline (all prescribed by a doctor).

Please keep in mind that I provide medical information only. I am not able to diagnose medical conditions online. Please contact your doctor for further advice and information about diagnosis and treatment options.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
This question has been answered by the doctor. This topic is now open for public discussion, however no comments below this point will be answered by a doctor.
Must Read
Learn the basics about mental disorders, including risk factors, diagnosis, and treatment options. ...
Learn about risk factors to developing a mental health condition. ...
Learn about screening and diagnosis options available for mental conditions....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Lungs and Respiratory Disorders , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.