Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Immune Disorders Forum

so exhausted and mentally clouded I can barely function

Hey, all. I've got quite a few symptoms, and I don't quite know what's wrong with me.
I have a hard time getting to sleep at night. And I generally never wake up feeling refreshed. In fact, as soon as I wake up, especially by alarm clock, I feel exhausted, fatigued, and mentally clouded. Like I'm unable to wake up fully. I feel like that for a few hours, if not all the way into the afternoon.
Sometimes I find myself waking up in the middle of the night not breathing.
I've discovered riding an exercise bike for 20 minutes in the afternoon helps wake me up a -little- bit, but only for a short while.
Some days, my arms and legs are so heavy and in pain I can barely lift them up.
I'm so exhausted and mentally clouded I can barely hold a conversation, read a book, or function properly. I become very introverted.
I've struggled with anorexia as well as binging on sugary foods.
I have dry eyes randomly. Quite frequently, but random.
I get migraines/headaches almost everyday.
I'm constipated on a daily basis. I've recently resorted to using FruitEze as a means to become regular. So far, I've seen improvement. But even with a healthy diet, and daily exercise, the symptoms persist.
I eat a healthy diet.
I try to get about 7-9 hours of sleep a night.
Because of all of this stuff, I'm almost constantly stressed out, anxious, depressed, angry, or something of the sort.
When I'm not mentally clouded, I'm very nice and want to help people. When I'm clouded, I'm a very selfish, bitter, angry person. I hate it.
I get very, very dry hands that tend to bleed, especially in the Winter.
I've noticed on days that it's rainy/gloomy, my emotional symptoms get much worse (anxiety/depression/etc).
As mentioned, I have little to no energy throughout most of the day.
I think I have erectile dysfunction.
Sometimes I have a hard time peeing.
My hips come out of alignment quite frequently. It causes a lot of pain when I sit down and walk. Laying down is generally the most comfortable thing to do.
I usually don't have enough energy to talk.
However, for a few hours in the evening, I generally feel fine.
I have a hard time concentrating/focusing on one thing. My thoughts are all over the place, which I think contributes to my stress. I can't think through one thing.
I feel depressed a lot of the time. I have a hard time being social. I find it hard to find joy.
I do drink a lot of water, the recommended amount - 7-9 cups.
I've had to use Miralax for years. Recommended by my doctor. I switched to FruitEze as mentioned above.
I don't know if any or all of this stuff is connected, or important, but I feel like poop most of the time, and my doctor isn't able to help me out very much. I believe in the power of diet/nutrition, however, even with trying to eat "right," I see little improvement. I feel as if nutrition isn't a cookie cutter, one size fits all, so I don't know what to do. Ideas or suggestions?
I also cannot cook my own meals or afford anything expensive/fancy.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied January 2nd, 2014
Extremely eHealthy
I am not sure if anyone could help you but where modern medical science has failed it is always worth considering more traditional medicine.

Traditional medicine takes an altogether more holistic view of personality and lifestyle whereas modern medicine tends to treat individual symptoms in the hope the body will eventually cure itself.

Eating healthily is a somewhat elastic concept and few people really do eat healthily from a purist point of view. Eating healthily to the purist means no processed food at all and no added fats or sugars. Cooking food is not a natural thing to do and some benefit might be found in not eating cooked food at all unless absolutely necessary. Certainly our load of gut bacteria are at their healthiest when raw foods are eaten, first chewed to a pulp and thoroughly coated with saliva and such a diet tends to cause some of the fastest and therefore the healthiest gut transit times on record. Such a diet has been held responsible for near miracles in the health of certain patients.

Getting away from drugs and poisonous chemicals could also provide benefits. Modern life is full of such things from caffeine in soft drinks and tea and coffee to stuff in soaps and detergents including noxious vapours from polishes, fabrics, paints or cleaning solvents.

There are a large number of people who feel they are made ill by AC electricity and the magnetic fields it produces. While power lines and electricity substations are documented as producing mystery none-specified illnesses in some, other people are avoiding neon lighting, modern low energy lighting, television sets, computers and stuff like that. A few people who believe it is modern life that is making them ill have opted for an altogether more old-fashioned lifestyle away from the trappings of modern life and while oil lamps suit some others opt for a life driven by direct current electricity alone.

I suggest you do further research along those lines and make whatever changes you are able. Improvements are unlikely to be instant so you will need to be patient. One man who adopted the raw food diet said it took a year for his miracle to happen and he could dance or chop firewood where previously he needed to take a rest halfway along his own garden path.

Food for thought indeed...
Good luck!
|

replied January 2nd, 2014
Experienced User
you said you struggled with anorexia. If it is still the case that you are quite under weight then it might be malnutrition. In which case it might be worth your effort or time to save up for a nutritionist for yourself or at least try to better educate yourself on nutrition so can at least make better choices when you are eating. Check your BMI if your unsure.

Aside from this I can only suggest two things. Firstly, get someone to confirm that you are indeed breathing through the entire night. Ie stay at a parents or friends house and tell them you want to confirm your suspicion. If your breathing does at times during the night stops then a sleep study is necessary to confirm a possible sleep disorder assuming your doctor hasn't ordered already.

Other then this perhaps you should consider seeing a psychologist and or psychiatrist. Or at the very least perhaps see your gp about the possibility of anti-depressants. As it seems that you are suffering from a great deal mental stress.

Lastly, you have the right to see a different gp. If the one your seeing right now isn't helpful go see a different one.

Best of luck.
|
Must Read
What is pneumonia? Learn basic facts about pneumonia here, plus how doctors define the different types of pneumonia that people can get....
Some people are more at risk of getting pneumonia than others. Are you one of them? Learn more about how you get pneumonia and who is at risk here....
Chest pain is typical during cases of pneumonia. But what other signs and symptoms should you look for? Know when to seek medical help by starting here....