Medical Questions > Mental Health > Sleep Disorders Forum

Snoring Problems: My Wife is Going to Kill Me

Hello,

Anyone else having relationship problems due to snoring? Anyone lose a significant other due to snoring? I found a pretty good read online about how snoring can ruin relationships. Here are some tidbits:

Did you know that on average, snoring is 60-80 decibels? Now snoring decibel levels vary, but for better reference, let’s compare this statistic to everyday household products.

-Conversational Speech 60dB
-Small Vacuum Cleaner 70dB
-Alarm Clock 80dB

Now imagine you have a snoring problem, and your partner had to deal with someone blabbering in her/his ear all night long. Or better yet, imagine sleeping next to an alarm clock that went off for 6-8 hours straight, and could not be turned off! Snoring is like an annoying non-stop alarm clock every night, and it must be stopped to save your relationship.

Ruins Sleep Patterns

Not to state the obvious, but snoring is in fact affecting your partner’s quality of sleep. Even if you are nice enough to buy them ear plugs, it can take them 2-3 hours to finally fall asleep after enduring that annoying snore sound. Adults typically need about 7-8 hours of sound sleep. Now imagine only getting 4 or 5 hours of sleep because your partner is “sawing logs” next to you every night. Furthermore, imagine if your significant other has a long commute to work and has to wake up extra early for work. A relationship is all but doomed if your loved one is deprived of sleep because of your snoring, and hash to work fulltime on little to no rest. They won’t make it through their day very happy.

Lack of Sleep Causes Crankiness

Have you ever seen someone in a good mood after getting little to no sleep the night before? Me neither! Studies have shown that even partial sleep deprivation has a significant effect on mood. University of Pennsylvania researchers found that subjects who were limited to only 4.5 hours of sleep a night for one week reported feeling more stressed, angry, sad, and mentally exhausted. When the subjects resumed normal sleep, they reported a dramatic improvement in mood.
Now imagine your partner being in a bad mood nearly every day because they can’t sleep due to your loud snoring levels. How will that relationship last? Where will the happiness be? What will their face look like in the morning? Worst part- you had no idea your snoring kept them up all night.

Snoring Can Be A Major Turn-off

Face it, snoring is not an attractive quality by any means shape or form. Bad cases of snoring can sound like a pig snorting or someone choking on a piece of food lodged in their throat. Definitely not the ideal sound you want to hear when lying next to your significant other at night.

A survey about “Snoring and Male Attractiveness” was conducted. The survey was taken by 20 females with ages varying from 25-39. Results from the first question, “Would you be attracted to a man that snores (80dB) as loud as an alarm clock?” showed that 17 out of 20 would not be attracted to that man. The next question asked, “If you lost 2-3 hours of sleep every night due to your partners snoring, would you stay with them?” Results showed that 12 out of 20 women would not stay with their partner if they lost that much sleep. Finally, when asked “Would you be able to sleep in the same bed with a loud snorer?” 15 out of 20 said they would not sleep next to a loud snorer.
Not only does snoring affect you and your partner’s sleep quality, but apparently it can also determine your level of attractiveness as well. Don’t take that risk, do your fair share of research to find the best snoring solution for you.

Other Causes of Sleep Deprivation

When you start a family there will be many other reasons other than snoring, which will keep you from getting a good nights’ rest. Taking care of a baby is no easy task, add snoring to the mix, and you might as well kiss your sleep goodbye. A crying baby is one reason a parent must wake up to, but after the baby is taken care of, how will they go back to sleep when their loved one is snoring as loud as a motorcycle?
No matter how much you love your family, loud obnoxious snoring can definitely hinder the peacefulness of an otherwise quiet household. It is one thing to wake up to help a child, but your partner should not be waking up every night because they can’t tolerate your snoring. Don’t let your snoring annoy your family and prevent them from getting the rest they deserve.

Snoring Is Embarrassing

Now it’s one thing to have a snoring problem in the privacy of your own home, and even if your partner can tolerate it, that doesn’t mean they will not be embarrassed when you are forced to sleep in a confined space with other people. Imagine how your partner will feel if you happen to go camping and sleep in a cabin or RV with friends or better yet in-laws, and you keep them awake because you snore too loud! Imagine a 12 hour flight on your way to a romantic getaway. Now can you imagine the embarrassment your partner will feel because everyone on the plane heard you snore?
Don’t put yourself or your loved one through this embarrassment. Be honest with each other and be willing to help each other find a solution to this dreaded snoring problem. Everyone has the potential to fix their snoring problems, and with new advances in technology snoring may become a thing of the past.

Simply eating better and exercising can drastically reduce snoring. Also, sleeping in the proper position can help as well. If these options don’t help, there are anti-snoring devices all over the market, but beware of cheap mouthguards/devices that aim to take money out of your pocket and not help you sleep better. Look for highly regarded thermoplastic FDA cleared BPA Free anti-snoring mouthguards. Now it’s up to you to take action to improve your relationship and most importantly your overall well-being.
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper SnoreTalk
|

replied January 21st, 2014
Agreed.
My relationship is failing due to exactly this. I receive (maybe) 3-4 hours a night and end up sleeping in the early evenings for an hour to compensate if given the chance. My physical, mental and emotional health have significantly deteriorated over the last four years. Needless to say the burden is put on me when my partner simply says "sorry" or "just nudge me" in response to my almost meltdowns.
|

replied February 14th, 2014
I know EXACTLY how you feel, especially the part about my spouse simply saying "sorry" or "just wake me". She uses a mouthguard which helps sometimes for a short time (sometimes only a few minutes if not positioned just right)...but usually she falls asleep before putting it in. We've been together for 5 years, married for the last 2. In that time I've noticed I get so tired during the day & early evening from lack of sleep. I'm usually falling asleep on the couch, only to wake up to a stiff back. I'm not trying to bash my wife (I love her dearly) but it's truly frustrating because I don't think she understands how this issue affects me. It's so much more than just lack of sleep...I'm tired behind the wheel, irritated with coworkers, etc.

It's frustrating...
|

Sleep apnea is the worst problem,i would suggest you CPAP therapy to treat obstructive sleep apnea.This therapy consists of a CPAP mask that help you to have the best good night sleep.
|

Active User, very eHealthy
Snoring may seem harmless at first, but it can fester into a huge problem. Even though we realize the snorer isn't doing it deliberately and has little to no control over it.

Worse yet, the snorer if s/he stops and starts breathing abruptly, is at risk for obstructive sleep apnea and should be checked by a medical professional.

Statistically, something like 1 out of 4 couples sleep separately, and I think snoring is one of the main reasons why.

Besides CPAP, you can try white noise machines or ear plugs to mask it. Some interesting new products coming out, like the anti-snore pillow that supposedly nudges the snorer when it picks up a certain level of sound.
|

replied February 10th, 2015
Also, sometimes using a humidifier will help with snoring and other sleep problems. I was looking for a CPAP machine on a website and then saw that they sold humidifiers as well, so I thought I would try that route first. It was a good call.
|

replied February 28th, 2014
Snoring is a common problem now days,it mostly affect men and the main cause of this problem is overweight.Occasional snoring is not a serious problem but if you are habitual to this problem then you must prefer a sleep study.I would like to suggest you a CPAP therapy that must benefit you to resove obstructive sleep apnea problem.
|

replied August 24th, 2014
Snoring
Given the fact that about 40% of all people are snorers, it's safe to say that at least 70% of the population is having problems because of it. As it has been mentioned above, after a while "sorry" just won't cut it. The truth is that snoring is never the problem of a single person; it is the problem of a couple. Sleeping in separate bedrooms isn't a solution; it's just sweeping the problem under the rug.

There are numerous solutions available such as the nose strips, nose rings, mouthpieces, chinstraps, anti-snoring pillows, CPAP machine and so on.

Nonetheless, while working on the snoring itself, the couple also has to work on their relationship. There is a lot you can find out about this topic
Good luck!
|

This post has been removed because it did not meet our Community Guidelines.

replied November 20th, 2014
Snoaring is a painful problem for the other partner.
|

replied February 26th, 2016
I will admit that I'm a snorer and it definitely affects my wife's sleep more than my own which I feel really bad about. We're currently looking at different treatments. What have people here found effective?
|

replied May 2nd, 2016
Yes, continue snoring is not good for health and it is also effect your relationship with your partner too. First i would like to suggest you some home remedies for cure snoring. Please follow: Rinsing nostrils before sleep, Changing sleeping positions, Keep the air moist, Maintaining a healthy lifestyle, Medical anti-snoring aids. If you are still facing snoring issue, then try some good quality anti snoring nasal spray. You can try an anti snoring spray - Asonor. This simple yet effective snoring aid is available to you in all leading pharmaceutical and chemist stores.

Thank You
|

replied November 23rd, 2017
I tried fixing my snoring problems by using those nose devices. Just like the ones from My Store To Go online website. It's kinda like a nose vent, it creates an airflow through a filter.
|