Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Allergies Forum

Sneezing related issues- can you forget how to sneeze?

Well since I can't find any questions asked about sneezing and anxiety related I guess I will post one. I am 16 and recently I haven't been able to sneeze at all. I mean my problem is when I think I am about to sneeze I will feel it in my nose but it like won't like take all the neccessary steps of coming like breathing in and achooing and I know this sounds ridiculous but can you forget how to sneeze recently I just haven't been able to sneeze and I can feel it in my nose and I have anxiety related issues so think about my problems a lot and well recently I just get so depressed and everytime I try to enjoy something I will think back to my anxiety and I will feel real bad and I have been doing this for so long that I just get depressed and I think I am weird or something and that's my whole point I think I screwed up big time because I will think of my anxiety and it will stop me from performing an action such as swallowing, sneezing. I think it's really screwing up how I function, can you tell me if this is normal I don't really hear much about it I think I have OCD and I will analyze everything in my mind like thoughts because my thoughts aren't rational. Well my point is sometimes I can't do things cause I think of my anxiety and I know it sounds crazy but it is very true. I'm taking Celexa but I don't think it's working.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied January 8th, 2015
Well, first off dont know the answer to your question, but i am experiencing the exact same problem you are having. I also suffer from depressions and have a anxiety problem. Currently taking clomiprine 25Mg.

I do understand your feelings, im experiencing the exact same thing. I hope your doing better now. I dint think wete insane and i dont think we cN forget how to sneeze its mainky muscle memory but the feeling of sneezing made me associated with my anxiety. Everyyime i feel a sneeze coming im getting scared and tense which makes the sneeze go away.
|

Well, first off dont know the answer to your question, but i am experiencing the exact same problem you are having. I also suffer from depressions and have a anxiety problem. Currently taking clomiprine 25Mg.

I do understand your feelings, im experiencing the exact same thing. I hope your doing better now. I dint think wete insane and i dont think we cN forget how to sneeze its mainky muscle memory but the feeling of sneezing made me associated with my anxiety. Everyyime i feel a sneeze coming im getting scared and tense which makes the sneeze go away.
|

|

replied October 15th, 2015
Hi, my name is Eli I have also experienced this and also when it happened my mouth would make involuntary sounds that sounded like sneezes which was so weird and made me very uncomfortable. Also I suffer from anxiety, depression and OCD as well, along with forgetting how to sneeze I've also forgotten how to do other things, things that are usually not even thought about, I didn't think it was that big a deal but maybe it was.
|
Must Read
What causes allergies? We review risk factors and common allergens in this intro to allergies section....
What causes an allergy? Who is more likely to develop allergies? More here....
Which allergy symptoms are serious signs of allergic reaction and which are merely bothersome? Common types of allergy symptoms and allergic reactions here....