Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Allergies Forum

Sneezing after receiving nasal oxygen???

Ok, so I'm having an unusual problem I was hoping you all might be able to explain, and hopefully I'm not the only one who's experienced this. I had an endoscopy procedure done where I was put under anesthesia and I was fitted with one of those nasal oxygen tubes. After my procedure I woke up in recovery and from the minute I woke up, my nasal passages felt incredibly irritated. When the tubes were removed, my nose with super itchy, burning, and running like a faucet. And then a few minutes later, I started sneezing profusely.

And now, several hours later, my nose is still running, itching, and I can't breath through it all without triggering a sneezing fit. And when I say I've been sneezing non-stop, I literally mean non-stop. I'm pretty sure I'm not getting sick because I felt fine this morning and, other than these annoying nasal symptoms, I'm not experiencing any other discomfort.

That's why I'm thinking this could be an allergic reaction to the tubing or some chemical in the tubing. I took a Zyrtec but that hasn't had any effect at all. The itching and runny nose is bad enough but the sneezing is definitely the worst part. Has anyone else experienced this kind of reaction after receiving anesthetic and nasal oxygen? And if so, is there anything I can do to get some relief in the meantime?
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper herbert954
|

replied July 1st, 2015
I have had exactly the same problem. I had a colonoscopy today and have been sneezing and nose running non stop. I agree from my experience I think it is an allergic reaction to nasal tubing because it had a distinct odor which I don't think was the oxygen because it had a plastic smell. Doctors office had no knowledge of such reaction and said it must be a coincidence.
|

replied July 1st, 2015
There is several postings on internet of the same problem so I believe it to be a real problem that needs to be acknowledged.
|

replied September 22nd, 2016
I just had surgery on my rotator cuff. When I woke up from anesthesia, I had them remove the nasal tube and have not stopped sneezing since. Lol the nurses and doctors said it's a first. That must be their protocol. My pharmisist gave me claretin, and that has calmed it down a bit. As I stand here writing, I have clear mucus running out of my nose,and loss count of how many sneezes before I left surgical center . I just want to add one thing. I had a partial in my mouth during the procedure, and when I removed it one hour ago,the smell decreased 75% and my sneezing is reduced also. Another possibility, not being able to eat or drink after midnight had me so dehydrated, dry mouth nose and throat
|

replied June 3rd, 2018
another thing to try is have someone cover your sneeze just as you about to sneeze. It sounds crazy buy my ex-girl friend use to sneeze in huge fits. After about 10 or so i would place my hand in from of her mouth and nose as she was ready to sneeze? Her sneeze would not come out. lol let me know how you make out
|

replied August 28th, 2017
I go in for endoscopies about every-other month while I try to get data relating to EoE. I often get the same thing, which lasts for about three days. I'm told it's just the oxygen drying out the sinuses. The best solution I've found (apart from asking them to turn the oxygen down beforehand) is to use a tissue as a dam, like you would for a bloody nose. It stops the irritation in your upper nasal passage.
|
Must Read
What causes allergies? We review risk factors and common allergens in this intro to allergies section....
What causes an allergy? Who is more likely to develop allergies? More here....
Which allergy symptoms are serious signs of allergic reaction and which are merely bothersome? Common types of allergy symptoms and allergic reactions here....