Medical Questions > Mental Health > Stop Smoking Forum

Smoking , lung cancer , and bronchitis

User Profile
I am a 28 year old petite woman. I have had a nasty cough for the past 4 days. The first night I coughed so bad that I couldn't even sleep well throughout the night. I have been drinking a lot of green tea with honey and lemon. I smoke about twice a day and noticed that it wasn't getting any better obviously because of the smoke. yesterday I smoked and then about 20 minutes later I coughed so bad I fell to my knees and my chest and back were soar from it. I have smoked marijuana for about 3 years and have slowed down a lot but this is a wake up call for me to stop. When I cough sometimes the phlegm is yellow and sometimes it is clear. I am scared I could have lung cancer because I don't have any other cold or flu symptoms. Is it normal to sometimes just have a cough without being flu sick? Could it be Bronchitis? I notice it's worse at night. I bought some mucinex and it's starting to help a little. I also have acid reflux disease but I don't know if that matters. Please advise

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied November 9th, 2009
Stop Smoking Answer A7820
You would like to know whether you have a cancer or other medical condition such as Bronchitis.

Cancer appears after smoking cigarettes for quite a long time such as ten, fifteen or twenty years. Cancer also depends on the number of the cigarettes somebody smokes per day, from ten to twenty and more cigarettes per day.

Bronchitis is an infection of the mucous membrane in the airways or bronchial tubes of the lungs, resulting from infection or irritation and causing breathing problems and severe coughing. Bronchitis can also appear in certain conditions such as acid reflux because the acid can cause irritation if breathed in while sleeping.

According to the data that you provided, coughing is likely caused by bronchitis caused by the acid reflux. You may see your doctor to confirm or rule out bronchitis. You may also consider seeing a gastroenterologist to find out more about the treatment of acid reflux. You may see a pulmonologist to rule out lung cancer. You may consider having a biopsy from the lung tissue.

Please keep in mind that I am trying to provide you with medical information here. I am not able to give you medical advice online. Please contact your doctor or a qualified healthcare provider such as a pulmonologist and gastroenterologist to learn more about diagnosis and treatment options.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
This question has been answered by the doctor. This topic is now open for public discussion, however no comments below this point will be answered by a doctor.
Quick Reply
Must Read
Chronic and acute cases of bronchitis affect millions of Americans every year. But what is bronchitis? And how do types of bronchitis differ?...
Bronchitis can be caused by viruses, fungi or bacteria. But what are the most well known and frequent causes of bronchitis. More info here....
Acute bronchitis and chronic bronchitis manifest different symptoms. Learn to identify both types of bronchitis and when you should seek medical help....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Stop Smoking , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.