Medical Questions > Mental Health > Stop Smoking Forum

Smoking and its effect on the immune system (Page 1)

User Profile
I have had genital warts now for nearly 2 years. I have rarely had a break from them in this time. I do smoke probaly 15-20 smokes a day and have done since i found out that i had them. I have looked at a few web sites and some of them say that if you smoke when you have genital warts that it lowers your immune system and cause more outbreaks and prolong it. Is this true? If i stop smoking will i have a greater chance of finally getting rid of them damn things?

Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper marknguyen
|

User Profile
replied December 23rd, 2008
Stop Smoking Answer A5106

Smoking does decrease the strength of the immune system. The immune system fights against substances that can damage the organism. These substances can originate from the surrounding environment (bacteria, virus and parasites) or from the organism itself (tumors, damaged tissue).

When smoking, a lot of free radicals are formed. The free radicals react very easily with many molecules, thus changing them. DNA can also be one of these molecules. When changed in a specific part (gene), the cell can loose its reproductive control, thus enabling the formation of a tumor.

The immune system can recognize these very hazardous substances (free radicals) and clear them out of the organism. At the same time, many cells that have already turned into little tumors are recognized by the immune system and destroyed.

By not smoking, there are less free radicals and potentially malignant cells in the organism, and the immune system is given enough space to fight with his complete potential with the other half of the invaders (bacteria, virus and parasites).

|
Did you find this post helpful?
This question has been answered by the doctor. This topic is now open for public discussion, however no comments below this point will be answered by a doctor.
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Stop Smoking , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.