Medical Questions > Mens Health > Penis Forum

smaller hard bump under my skin at the base

Must Read
Learn the basics about skin health, including risk factors, diagnosis, and treatment options. ...
Learn about risk factors to developing a skin disorder. ...
Learn about screening and diagnosis options available for various skin disorders....
User Profile
I have a small pea sized or even a bit smaller hard bump under my skin at the base of my shaft. It does not affect me in any way but I do know that it is there and can easily find it. This I have noticed for at least 3 yrs in the same place and the same size. Other things: In the past 2 years I now have large bumps on my neck area that reduce to small hard lumps after a month and remain hard. This past month I now have several skin tags around my neck area. This sounds pretty bad but I have not seen a doctor about these things at all but I am in the very near future. Any information would help

Did you find this post helpful?

User Profile
replied November 13th, 2011
Penis Answer A28527

Welcome to the ehealthforum and I am really glad to help you out. Your concern is regarding the painful lump that you are having on the penis and the neck. This kind of lump on neck which reduces in size can be a swollen lymph node. Lymphadenopathy (swollen lymph nodes) is usually caused by a viral or bacterial infection along with other numerous causes. A cyst is a closed sac or cyst below the surface of the skin that fills with a white, semi-solid material called sebum produced by sebaceous glands of the epidermis. It is usually painless but can become painful if infected.

What exactly is this can be diagnosed only after examination of the area. Till that time you can apply warm compresses and some topical antibiotics like Neosporin and take some anti inflammatory pain reliever.

It is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination and investigations and the answer is based on the medical information provided. For exact diagnosis, you are requested to consult your doctor. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care.

Did you find this post helpful?
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Penis , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.