Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Skin Forum

Small very itchy spots on body

Must Read
Acne is a common skin condition - but what types of acne can a person have? Start learning about acne here....
Does chocolate or greasy food cause acne? Learn the difference between fact and who is at risk for getting acne?...
Severity of acne and symptoms vary by individual. Learn the difference between mild and sever acne here...and when you should seek medical help for acne....
User Profile
I have developed a number of itchy spots on various parts of my body. I have experienced small painful and sometimes itchy bumps on my right index finger that go away after awhile if I leave them alone and they kind of leave behind a callus. Recently I developed two two bumps on my heel around where I had a healing blister from wearing new boots. These bumps were the same, hard, red, itchy and sore to the touch. I developed another red bump on my opposite foot near my big toe - also red and itchy - not so much sore though. These bumps are not nearly as itchy as the ones I developed on the back of my elbows or on the middle knuckle of both hands. They are smaller bumps and very very itchy. It almost looks like I have a rash on my elbows. I have been putting hydrocortisone ointment on my elbows but it doesn't do much for the itching. I am concerned as to what this might be and these bumps do not seem to be getting any better. These bumps are not like blisters - they are not fluid filled.

Did you find this post helpful?

User Profile
replied May 25th, 2010
Skin Answer A12474

Welcome to the ehealthforum and I am really glad to help you out. There are 3-4 possibilities which I can think of in view of the symptoms described you. The first possibility is scabies. It is caused y a mite and the lesions are small red extrememly itchy bumps and they typically occur on the hands, feet & elbows. Permethrin & lindane are used for the treatment but this should be taken only after consulting a dermatologist.

Contact dermatitis can also present with similar symptoms. The treatment consists of avoiding the culprit irritant. Using the steroid cream does help. Psoriasis and fungal infection are 2 more possibilities which can have a similar presentation. Please do consult a dermatologist for the confirmation of the diagnosis as it is not possible to diagnose online. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care.

Did you find this post helpful?
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Skin , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.