Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Ear, Nose and Throat Disorders Forum

small tear shaped lump, not a tonsil stone

Really worried I have tonsil cancer...

Back in 2010 I noticed that I have one tonsil that is much bigger than the other and it looked like it had a small nodule on one corner the same colour as the tonsil, it looked a bit like a small tear shaped lump (def not a tonsil stone). At the time I asked my dentist and doc about it and they said one can just be bigger (kind of how you often have one foot a bit bigger than the other) and that some tonsils are just lumpy and bumpy hence the nodule. I haven't even thought about it in recent years but yesterday just out of nowhere I decided to look at my tonsils in mirror and I can no longer see the nodule on my big tonsil and it looks a different shape in the area where the nodule was, there is a definite difference. I had another look today and it seems that the area at the top of the tonsil where the nodule was is really red compared to the rest. I've looked numerous times today and the patch where he nodule was is definitely redder than the rest. I'm not ill, my throat doesn't hurt nor have I had any kind of infection for a long time so it isn't something like tonsillitis.

So you guessed it, I am now thinking it is tonsil cancer! Especially as I do drink wine regularly (more than I should, bad I know) and this is linked to cancers of the mouth! Does this sound like it could be something?

I'm going to dentist on Mon anyway, do you think it would be appropriate to ask him about it or should I not wait until then?
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied June 24th, 2019
Hello and welcome to EHF !

I went through your query and i understand your concern.Self diagnosis and self medication never ends well. Variation in tonsils size is common and needs supportive care with antihistamines and ibuprofen and saline gargles. Its not cancer. Stop worrying about rare diseases and stop googling your symptoms.

Take care

|
Did you find this post helpful?
Tags: Cancer
Quick Reply
Must Read
Do you know the three main reasons we cough? Learn common causes of cough and when coughing might indicate a more serious health problem....
Coughing is normal. But what can cause more troublesome coughs? Learn more about possible causes of cough here....
When should you see a doctor about cough symptoms? When are symptoms a sign of further complications? Learn about cough symptoms basics here....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Ear, Nose and Throat Disorders , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.