Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Skin Forum

Small red raised dot on thumb, heavy bleeding?

Hi, after climbing the highest mountain on Vietnam over two days (may not be applicable to the diagnosis) a small red dot appeared on my thumb and over a couple of weeks began to raise slightly. I assumed it was a small splinter or grain of dirt trapped under the skin, but when investigating with a needle I could find nothing solid and the small sand grain sized thing in the middle of the 'tiny volcano' shaped bump began bleeding profusely when jabbed. Since then the bleeding has stopped and it now looked like a tiny, recently erupted volcano, possible what I see in the middle is a cluster of blood vessels and not something beneath the skin but it still feels hard and raised and a small circle of skin around it has turned white, I guess due to lack of blood. Any ideas whatsoever?
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied January 13th, 2019
Hello and welcome to ehealth forum.

It could have been an infected boil. There can be significant bleeding , if the area is infected and in a vascular place such as the pulp of the thumb. Apply povidone and neosporin topically. With the mountain climbing history, tetanus toxoid booster should also be administered. The would should be examined and if required oral antibiotics can be advised.

I hope this helps and wish you good luck
Stay in touch with your health care provider as EHF is only for educational purposes.
Regards
Dr Khalil

|
Did you find this post helpful?
Quick Reply
Must Read
Acne is a common skin condition - but what types of acne can a person have? Start learning about acne here....
Does chocolate or greasy food cause acne? Learn the difference between fact and myth...plus who is at risk for getting acne?...
Severity of acne and symptoms vary by individual. Learn the difference between mild and sever acne here...and when you should seek medical help for acne....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Skin , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.