Medical Questions > Mens Health > Penis Forum

Small red bumps on head of penis

Must Read
Talking openly about the penis is a very personal matter. Learn basic penis anatomy to discuss penile disorders accurately with your doctor....
Penis symptoms that interfere with sexual activity or urination could be serious. Learn the signs and symptoms of penis problems that require a doctor's help....
How do urologists evaluate and diagnose painful penis? A penis disorder is a medical problem. Learn more about possible diagnoses for penis disorders now....
User Profile
Hello Dr. I have been tested for Gonnorea, syphillis, chlamydia, and HIV an came back negative. I had a cluster of white bumps on the base of my penis an a few scatter around, the doctor check it out and said it might be an ingrown hair an to treat it with neosporian. It subsided but now there's a rash of small red bumps on the head of my penis. There's also a foul smell emanating from my crotch area? Whst could it be

Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper User Profile

User Profile
replied May 12th, 2010
Sexually Transmitted Diseases Answer A12034
Hi, and thanks for your medical question on eHealth forum!

If you have been tested negative for STD then it is indeed a blessing. A red rash on penis that burns or itches can be due to balanitis or inflammation of the head of the penis and/or the foreskin. This can be due to bacterial infection. It is possible that your girl friend has bacterial vaginosis which is not a STD.

The other possibility is that friction during intercourse is causing infection/inflammation for you. It can also be a chemical irritation from condoms. Fungal infection is another possibility.

Please discuss this with your doctor as treatment will depend on the cause.
Hope this helps. Take care!

Did you find this post helpful?
This question has been answered by the doctor. This topic is now open for public discussion, however no comments below this point will be answered by a doctor.
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Penis , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.