User Profile
I have a small rash in the pit of my elbow, about 2 inches wide. It's mostly small red dots but in the middle they kind of combine to make the very middle of the fold of my elbow completely red. I've had it for several months now and it won't go away. I believe I got it while moving some firewood outside. I am allergic to poison ivy and thought it was that but it never got itchy. I assumed my sensitive skin was just irritated from the bark of the wood but it's still here and is maybe even a little worse. Is this something I should be concerned about?

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied April 4th, 2018
Skin Answer A63579
Based on your description, contact dermatitis is the likely cause. Apply local calamine lotion and local hydrocortisone if there isnt any evidence of superimposed bacterial infection. The lesion should therefore be examined by your GP before initiating any treatment. If there is associated itching, redness and inflammation then an oral antihistamine can also be advised in addition. Try to avoid the aforementioned probable allergens.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
Quick Reply
Must Read
Acne is a common skin condition - but what types of acne can a person have? Start learning about acne here....
Does chocolate or greasy food cause acne? Learn the difference between fact and myth...plus who is at risk for getting acne?...
Severity of acne and symptoms vary by individual. Learn the difference between mild and sever acne here...and when you should seek medical help for acne....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Skin , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.