Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Ear, Nose and Throat Disorders Forum

Small painful white bumps in back of throat

I have small painful white bumps in the back of my throat. I have had this many time before and have never gotten a straight answer as to what exactly it is. I have no other symptoms but pain swallowing and the white zit like bumps in the back of my throat. It has been extremely hard to eat or drink anything.

I did go to the doctor the second day I noticed the pain. They gave me a quick strep swab test that came back negative, but said there was only a 97% chance the test was accurate so they would send it off to the lab to be cultured. The next day the pain became unbearable so I called. The doctor gave me a prescription for antibiotics and told me that he was going to start treatment for strep.

I know I don't have strep. I have had strep many times as a child but got my tonsils out and have not had it since.

Here is a link to a picture of my throat. Most of the bumps feel as if they are too far down to take a picture of, so there are only a few visible.

http://imgur.com/vXaWh.jpg

I just want to know what exactly this is and why it is reoccurring?
What treatment would be best?
Are the antibiotics even going to help?

Thank you for your responses. Any information would be amazing!!
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied November 1st, 2012
me too
wondering if you found out what it is/was. I have the exact thing happening.
|
Did you find this post helpful?
Must Read
Do you know the three main reasons we cough? Learn common causes of cough and when coughing might indicate a more serious health problem....
Coughing is normal. But what can cause more troublesome coughs? Learn more about possible causes of cough here....
When should you see a doctor about cough symptoms? When are symptoms a sign of further complications? Learn about cough symptoms basics here....