Medical Questions > Cancer > Cancers Forum

Small nodule under arm

User Profile
I have had a small nodule under my arm for over a year. Sometimes it is painful. When it becomes tender a mole appears on my upper arm. It is usually mis-shapen, brown with a red ring and gradually disappears again. Thought was all hormonal but happening more regular, usually every 2 or 3 weeks. Went to docs about mole but told that cancerous moles don't appear and then disappear. Recently realised the connection with the tenderness in the arm. Doc says to let them know if nodule underarm grows. Bit concerned.

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied April 13th, 2010
Cancers Answer A11246
Armpit lumps are rather common, especially in women. In most cases, these lumps are caused by infected hair follicles, inflamed skin cysts, benign overgrowths of fatty tissue (lipomas), or inflamed "reactive" benign lymph nodes. Less commonly, enlarged lymph nodes caused by cancer (including breast cancer or lymphoma) may result in armpit (axillary) lumps.

Your doctor is correct in that a malignant mole (i.e., melanoma) cannot recur, disappear, and then recur again in the same place.

Since it is not possible for me to examine patients who post questions on eHealth Forum, my advice is always that patients with new or enlarging axillary lumps visit with their doctor for an examination.

Sincerely/ Robert A. Wascher, MD, FACS

www.doctorwascher.com

www.oncoguard.com

A landmark, evidence-based guide to a healthy cancer-prevention lifestyle, based on cutting-edge cancer research.
|
Did you find this post helpful?
This question has been answered by the doctor. This topic is now open for public discussion, however no comments below this point will be answered by a doctor.
Must Read
Millions of Americans are diagnosed with cancer. But what exactly is cancer and how does it affect the body?...
What puts you at risk for developing cancer? Learn how you can avoid or reduce exposure to risk factors for cancer here....
Cancer can occur anywhere in the body. But what are the signs and symptoms of cancer? Learn about general symptoms of cancer here....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Cancers , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.