Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Skin Forum

Small lump under skin on hand

Must Read
Acne is a common skin condition - but what types of acne can a person have? Start learning about acne here....
Does chocolate or greasy food cause acne? Learn the difference between fact and who is at risk for getting acne?...
Severity of acne and symptoms vary by individual. Learn the difference between mild and sever acne here...and when you should seek medical help for acne....
User Profile
where my middle finger meets the palm of my hand, there is a small lump, pea size, hard and under the skin on the bone. It has been sore for the past few days, not always noticeable but when i hold something tight it would be uncomfortable. It feels like i have bruised it, but there is no bruise there, also no swelling or visual signs of harm. Is this somehting to be very concerned about?

Did you find this post helpful?

User Profile
replied December 4th, 2009
Skin Answer A8229
Welcome to the ehealth forum and we are glad to lend you a helping hand. Your concern is regarding the hard painful lump that you are having at the base of your middle finger on the palm of your hand. Ma’am, there are a few differential diagnosis which should be probed. The simplest of this kind of bump can be a callus hand. It is a toughened area of skin which has become relatively thick and hard in response to repeated friction, pressure, or other irritation. The second possibility is of a ganglion cyst. These cysts can be painful especially when they first appear and with constant or strenuous use of the hand or wrist and are usually found at the base of the finger on palms.

Third possibility is less likely because of your age but is important to be ruled out. It is of Dupuytren’s disease in which there is an abnormal thickening of the palm of the hand. The first sign of Dupuytren’s disease is usually a small lump or pit in the palm especially near the base of finger.

For all these possibilities I would suggest you to consult a dermatologist and get an examination done. It is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination and investigations and the answer is based on the medical information provided. For exact diagnosis, you are requested to consult your doctor. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care.

Did you find this post helpful?
This question has been answered by the doctor. This topic is now open for public discussion, however no comments below this point will be answered by a doctor.
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Skin , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.