Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Skin Forum

Small lump under knee

Must Read
Acne is a common skin condition - but what types of acne can a person have? Start learning about acne here....
Does chocolate or greasy food cause acne? Learn the difference between fact and who is at risk for getting acne?...
Severity of acne and symptoms vary by individual. Learn the difference between mild and sever acne here...and when you should seek medical help for acne....
User Profile
I noticed a small hard lump behind my leg under my knee. It only becomes tender when I push on it.It's been there about 3 to 4 weeks now. It is about pea sized and feels bony. I sm so scared something is seriously wrong. I can grab it with my skin. Any ideas what this could be?

Did you find this post helpful?

User Profile
replied December 11th, 2009
Skin Answer A8425

Welcome to the ehealthforum and I am really glad to help you out.

Your concern is regarding the small lump that you have on your leg under the knee. This kind of lump can be a swollen lymph node, a sebaceous cyst, a swollen muscle or a boil. Lymphadenopathy (swollen lymph nodes) is usually caused by a viral or bacterial infection along with other numerous causes. Other causes include allergic reactions, arthritis, cancer, metabolic diseases and an overactive thyroid (hyperthyroidism). Sebaceous cyst is a closed sac or cyst below the surface of the skin that fills with a white, semi-solid material called sebum produced by sebaceous glands of the epidermis. It is usually painless but can become painful if infected. Boils are caused by infection of the hair follicle by the staph aureus. Even swelling or inflammation of the muscles can sometimes cause painful lumps.

What exactly this is can be diagnosed only after examination and investigations like ultrasound or CT of the area and a fine needle aspiration cytology(FNAC) of the lump. Until that time you can apply warm compresses and take an anti-inflammatory pain reliever.

It is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination and investigations and the answer is based on the medical information provided. For exact diagnosis, you are requested to consult your doctor. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care.

Did you find this post helpful?
This question has been answered by the doctor. This topic is now open for public discussion, however no comments below this point will be answered by a doctor.
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Skin , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.