Medical Questions > General Forum Topics > General Q and A Forum

small knot under skin

Must Read
Learn the basics about skin health, including risk factors, diagnosis, and treatment options. ...
Learn about risk factors to developing a skin disorder. ...
Learn about screening and diagnosis options available for various skin disorders....
I found a pea sized knot under the skin on my chest or shoulder, not sure what to call this area. If you place three fingers under your collor bone, out toward your shoulder then it is were your forth finger would fall. I have done a self breast check and can not find anything else there or under my arm. It is very painfull when touched. My bra strap laies over it and that is how I found it because it was causing me pain. There is nothing on the surface of my skin that can be seen. I had to draw a circle around it to keep an eye on the area. If you do press down on it, it causes my shoulder, neck and arm to feel discomfort. I had to give up my health insurance to be able to keep my job, so I did not want to run to the doctor's if it could be caused by something like my bra strap or hurt muscel. Dout it but I'm hoping.
Did you find this post helpful?

User Profile
replied August 31st, 2017

Based on the description it is possible that the lump you have described could be a enlarged lymph node

Lymph nodes and the spleen are part of the lymphatic system, where white blood cells (lymphocytes) mature and ‎‎‎undergo clonal multiplication. The lymphocytes are important for fighting the infection and clearing the ‎‎‎viruses and bacteria from the body. Hence during any inflammation or infection it is common for the lymph nodes to ‎‎‎increase in size and also become a bit tender (pain on application of pressure). ‎

In occasional cases, it is common for some nodes to be continuously active and hence appear enlarged permanently.

In such cases , treatment with antibiotics and other anti-inflammatory measures can help to resolve the condition.

It would be recommended that you consult with your doctor and seek a proper medical opinion.

Did you find this post helpful?
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our General Q and A , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.