No matter how much fibre I eat, or fluid I drink, I pass small hard faeces, often surrounded by mucous. Occasionally if I eat more fruit than usual it will be more normal but I will experience intense abdominal gripes.
I pass a lot of wind, often foul smelling.
I believe I have a normal to very good diet, exercise regularly, and drink more than sufficient water.
I don't sleep well.
I am on citalopram, naproxin, and calcium.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied June 23rd, 2008
Doctor
According to your symptoms you might be experiencing Irritable bowel syndrome (IBS). IBS is a functional disorder often related to the mental issues. Your sleeping disorder supports this opinion.
Have you ever asked for medical attention about this? Did you made any blood tests, ultrasound examinations and stool testing?
Why do you take naproxin and Calcium?
|

replied June 23rd, 2008
IBS?
I had considered irritable bowel syndrome.
I take Naproxin for arthritis pain and Calcium because I have dairy intolerance and there is a family history of osteoporosis. Stool tests were negative, as were blood tests. I have not had an ultrasound, although I did have a colonoscopy. The Citalapram shows that I have had attention for "a mental disorder".
Thank you for the reply.
|

User Profile
replied June 24th, 2008
Doctor
If the colonoscopy didn't reveal anything then you probably have IBS.
You can perform densitometry for evaluating the osteoporosis.
|

replied June 24th, 2008
small hard
Thanks again. I guess I just needed confirmation because that is what I suspected. I had a bone density scan last year which revealed the beginnings of osteoporosis.
What diet, if any, would help the IBS?
|

User Profile
replied June 25th, 2008
Doctor
There are a number of dietary changes a person with IBS can make to prevent the abdominal pain, discomfort, and bowel dysfunction.
Having soluble fiber foods and supplements, substituting milk products with soy or rice products, being careful with fresh fruits and vegetables that are high in insoluble fiber, and eating frequent meals of small amounts of food, can all help to lessen the symptoms of IBS.
Foods and beverages to be avoided or minimized include red meat, oily or fatty and fried products, milk products (even when there is no lactose intolerance), solid chocolate, coffee (regular and decaffeinated), alcohol, carbonated beverages, especially those containing sorbitol or other artificial sweeteners. Patient should also avoid foods to which he is allergic.
Definitive determination of dietary issues can be accomplished by testing for the physiological effects of specific foods. The ELISA food allergy panel can identify specific foods to which a patient has a reaction. Other testing can determine if there are nutritional deficiencies secondary to diet that may also play a role. Removal of foods causing IgG immune response as measured using the ELISA food panel has been shown to decrease symptoms of IBS.
Several of the most common dietary triggers are well-established by clinical studies at this point; research has shown that IBS patients are hypersensitive to fats and fructose.
|

replied February 26th, 2013
I have suffered from IBS since i was in my teens, seemed to affect me after eating protein foods, eggs, cheese. I am 54 and after having two children, last one a difficult birth this has got worse. I control or try to control it with diet, no onion, spiced foods, cabbage, and most fruit, cant eat white bread. I have had a endoscopy, and stool test both negative for anything. This is annoying as I find it difficult as to what i can eat these days. I have alot of wind, and gasey stomach and was recently put on medication for IBS but found that it was not suitable as I was diagnosed with Breast cancer 3 years ago, and these tablets would aggravate this. Can anyone help suffers like me.
|
Must Read
Feeling constipated? Do you know how constipation is medically defined? Get the basics on this common gastrointestinal complaint here....
Are you experiencing severe or chronic constipation? Learn about causes of constipation here....
Constipation is defined differently by different people. Learn to identify signs and symptoms of constipation and know when to ask for medical help....