Medical Questions > Cancer > Lung Cancer Forum

Small cell cancer treatment ?

please some one help with any further help i could get for my dad who is dieing of lung cancer. There is no further help avaliable on the nhs and are desperatly trying to find help from another country if u know anything no matter how small please tell me it could help us save his life. He has small cell cancer that has now spread from the lung to the liver.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied August 6th, 2009
Extremely eHealthy
Common therapies for small cell lung cancer, especially when extensive or advanced cancer, are chemotherapy and radiotherapy.
He may try participate in a clinical trial for testing new more promising drugs and treatment methods for lung cancer.
|

replied October 1st, 2018
I read this about this person reaching out for help about her father that has small cell lung cancer, I'm in the same exact position, my father is going through the same thing, we just found out a month ago (as he was doing immunotherapy) that they have seen it spread to the liver. My father got this because he worked at Navistar International and developed asbestos that small cell lung cancer. So I beg anyone please reach out, and if I find information I will post it, please someone please help, I can't lose my father.
|

User Profile
replied March 11th, 2019
If you only have one small tumor in your lung and there is no evidence of cancer in lymph nodes or elsewhere, your doctors may recommend surgery to remove the tumor and the nearby lymph nodes.

Very few patients with SCLC are treated this way. This is only an option if you are in fairly good health and can withstand having all or part of a lung removed.

Before the operation, the lymph nodes in your chest will be checked for cancer spread with mediastinoscopy or other tests, because surgery is unlikely to be a good option if the cancer has spread.

Surgery is generally followed by chemotherapy. If cancer is found in the lymph nodes that were removed, radiation therapy to the chest is usually advised as well. The radiation is often given at the same time as the chemo. Although this increases the side effects of treatment, it appears to be more effective than giving one treatment after the other. You might not be given radiation therapy if you already have severe lung disease (in addition to your cancer) or other serious health problems.

In about half of people with SCLC, the cancer will eventually spread to the brain if no preventive measures are taken. For this reason, you may be given radiation therapy to the head (called prophylactic cranial irradiation, or PCI) to try to prevent this. The radiation is usually given in low doses. Still, some patients may have side effects from the radiation.
|
Must Read
Millions of Americans are diagnosed with cancer. But what exactly is cancer and how does it affect the body?...
What puts you at risk for developing cancer? Learn how you can avoid or reduce exposure to risk factors for cancer here....
Cancer can occur anywhere in the body. But what are the signs and symptoms of cancer? Learn about general symptoms of cancer here....