Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Stroke Forum

slurred speach and my cognitive skills were effected...

User Profile
I had stroke like symptoms....tingling in left arm off and on for about 3days....slurred speach and my cognitive skills were effected....mri showed no sign of stoke....Dr. diagnossed me with a mild stroke before we saw the mri which showed no sign of anything....I have off and on migranes and I do say the wrong words....hearth in stead of fireplace , church in stead of school . I often run out of breath when I 'm talking...what is wrong? I go for my 2nd opinion soon and the neurologist is sending me to a speach therapist.

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied April 8th, 2011
Stroke Answer A21731
Hello, and thanks for your medical question on e health forum.

From the history provided it seems that you might have developed Dysarthria.

Dysarthria is a motor speech disorder resulting from neurological injury. People with dysarthria have trouble making certain sounds or words.

Their speech is poorly pronounced (such as slurring), and the rhythm or speed of their speech changes. Other symptoms include:

1. Sounding as though they are mumbling

2. Speaking softly or in a whisper

3. Speaking in a nasal or stuffy, hoarse, strained, or breathy voice

A person with dysarthria may also drool and have problems chewing or swallowing. It may be difficult to move the lips, tongue, or jaw.

Your neurologist is correct in referring you to a speech therapy, which is the most effective treatment in your condition.

Dysarthria caused by a stroke or brain injury will usually improves over time. improve.

I Hope this helps.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
Must Read
What happens during a stroke? What increases your chances of having a stroke? Stroke basics and info on the two types of stroke here....
Strokes can happen with virtually no warning signs. Learn the symptoms of stroke so that you can take immediate action in case of emergency....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Stroke , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.