Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Heart Disease and Heart Attack Forum

Slow, Irregular Heartbeat post Cardiac Ablation for WPW

I was recently diagnosed with WPW Syndrome and underwent a catheter ablation 5 weeks ago. I also have a bicuspid aortic valve which will likely need to be replaced in the future. After my ablation, I experienced some mild chest discomfort and the sensation that my heart wanted to race but was being prevented from doing so as they extra accessory path was gone. These symptoms decreased over the first 4 weeks, however about a week ago, I began experiencing episodes of a slow, irregular heartbeat, less than 60 beats per minute which was accompanied by the same feeling I got when experiencing the rapid heart rhythm of WPW syndrome. It is a feeling similar to having a lump in my throat from anxiety however, I generally am sitting still in a relaxed state when I began feeling this way. The first few days, the heart rhythm and nervous feelings accompanying it came and went, however yesterday, the feeling lasted most of the day and into the night preventing me from falling asleep immediately. My heart while beating slowly was pounding. The irregularity of the beat could be caused from the valve issue but I never have previously experienced a slow, heavy heartbeat like I have in the past week. Has anyone else had this happen to them following a catheter ablation and if so, did it eventually go away on it's own or did you need additional treatment?
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied March 26th, 2014
hi there
my advise for you is to consult your cardiologist.
a thorough cvs examination is required.
eCG and echocardiography to rule out any serious issue.
regards
thanks for using ehealth forum
|
Did you find this post helpful?
Must Read
What happens during a heart attack? Get heart attack facts here....
What causes a heart attack? Are women more likely than men to have a heart attack? We review the risk factors and causes of heart attack here....
Can you identify early signs and symptoms of a heart attack? Are women heart attack symptoms different than men? Click here to learn when to seek help....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Heart Disease and Heart Attack , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.