Medical Questions > General Forum Topics > General Q and A Forum

Slimy green discharge from anus ?

Must Read
Chronic pain affects more than 70 million Americans. But what is pain? And how can pain management help relieve different types of pain? Basic facts here....
How does the nervous system work to register pain? And what are the major causes of acute and chronic pain? Plus, who's at risk of pain here....
Acute and chronic pain manifest different symptoms. Learn the difference here and know when to seek medical help for pain....
User Profile
What is the cause of a slimy green discharge from anus? It has a fishy smell to it, but its not one detected unless you are very close to that part, as in to say intimate with that part of my body!

Did you find this post helpful?

User Profile
replied December 3rd, 2009
Digestive and Bowel Disorders Answer A8198
Hi and welcome to the forum! It is my pleasure to help you.

You like to know what is the cause of a slimy green discharge from the anus.

A discharge from the anus different in color and consistence from the usual may be caused by infections. If it is followed by pain all through the abdomen, diarrhea and increased body temperature, it is intestinal infection caused by bacteria. If it is followed by pain located near the anus, there may be underlaying infection caused by anal fistula(a passage between the skin and the anus) or inner anal fistula. However, green discharge may appear after consuming iron supplements or leaves-like vegetable such as spinach, lettuce and etc.

Given the data that you provided, a slimy green discharge from anus, you may or may not experience any medical condition. You may consider seeing you doctor for further information about diagnosis and treatment options. You may also consider seeing abdominal surgeon to rule out anal fistula.

Please keep in mind that I provide with medical information only. I am not able to diagnose medical conditions online. Please contact you doctor or other healthcare provider such as abdominal surgeon for further advice, diagnosis and treatment options.

Did you find this post helpful?
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our General Q and A , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.