Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Chest Pain Forum

sligth heart mumer and a slight case of asthma....

User Profile
Hi I am a 28 year old female. I have always as long as I can remember had congestion in my chest and coughed up phlegm. It may not be everyday but it is a reoccuring symptom. Even if I have not been sick I will cough up phlegm. I do not smoke. I was diagnosed with a sligth heart mumer and a slight case of asthma when I was about 18. I only used an inhaler when I was pregnant and I just wondered what could cause this? I also at times have a sharp tightening under my left breast area. It will cause me to have to hold my breath until the pain passes. Do you have any suggestions as to what could be causing these symptoms?

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied October 19th, 2011
Chest Pain Answer A27819
Hello and welcome to e health forum.

The symptoms described appear to be due to bronchitis, associated with inflammation of the throat and airway passages.

Your pain may be caused by PLEURISY, an irritation of ‎the lining of the lung that is usually caused by a viral infection.

Hard coughing may also cause ‎pain in the muscles and chest wall.

The way forward would require you to take adequate rest, proper hydration and symptomatic ‎treatment, including ‎antihistamines (Claritin or benadryl) to control the cold related symptoms, ‎Robitussin DM syrup to control the cough and tylenol or ibuprofen to ‎reduce any body aches and ‎pains if present. ‎
‎
Supportive measures would include use of steam inhalation to sooth the inflammed airway ‎passages, as well as sucking on cough lozenges to provide adequate lubrication.
‎
In case, you develop, any headache, high fever, purulent (yellow greenish) expectoration, you ‎‎might consult a doctor who can examine and rule out any bacterial infections and treat them with ‎‎a course of antibiotics for a few days. ‎

|
Did you find this post helpful?
This question has been answered by the doctor. This topic is now open for public discussion, however no comments below this point will be answered by a doctor.
Must Read
Learn the basics about various conditions and diseases, including risk factors, diagnosis, and treatment options....
Learn about risk factors to developing a certain conditions and diseases. ...
Learn about screening and diagnosis options available for certain conditions and diseases....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Chest Pain , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.