Medical Questions > Cancer > Leukemia Forum

Slightly high WBC

I have had a slightly high WBC (13.6) for a few months. I was fighting osteomyelitis but that is definitely gone now and the WBCis still elevated. My last blood test showed other weird things. My RBC is slightly low (3.49), MCV is 99, high neutrophils (8.0), high monocytes (1.Cool,
and immature myleocytes (test results said 1). The doctor

is recommending I see a hematologist because those immature cells can be precursors to leukemia. I have an appt but it's not for 2 weeks I'll go crazy with worry by then. Can someone help ease my mijd
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied September 11th, 2017
Thank you for asking at Ehealth forum!

I read your question and i understand your concern. I believe it is just sequelae of an infection you have been through. Myelocytes are very low in number and you can not claim them to be leukemic but there is no harm in getting a consult with a hematologist . They will run some more test if need be , do a bone marrow biopsy and that will be able to tell more weather there is any sign of leukaemia or not . Apart from it, good nutritive support, diet rich in iron , folate and Vitamin B12 will help to recover your blood cell lines . Don't worry, I believe it's not leukemia.

I hope it helps. Stay in touch with your healthcare provider for further guidance as our answers are just for education and counselling purposes and cannot be an alternative to actual visit to a doctor.
Take care
Khan
|
Did you find this post helpful?
Tags: Leukemia
Quick Reply
Must Read
Click here for basic info on leukemia, including diagnostic types and how doctors classify this disease of blood forming tissues....
Is leukemia inherited? Read here for more info on what causes leukemia and what environment risk factors or triggers you might avoid....
Leukemia can affect many parts of the body, including the organs of the cardiovascular and digestive systems. But what are the major symptoms of leukemia?...
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Leukemia , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.