Medical Questions > Womens Health > Sexual Health - Women Forum

Slight watery white discharge

Must Read
Menstruation is a woman's normal monthly menstrual period. But what are the signs of abnormal periods? When is vaginal bleeding serious?...
Regular vaginal bleeding vagina is a sign of healthy menstruation. What signs and symptoms point to menstrual problems? Read on to learn the difference....
Menstrual irregularity means that something is wrong. Learn how to identify the signs and symptoms of an irregular period to prevent larger problems later...
User Profile
for the past couple of weeks i have had a slight watery white discharge from my vagina n a little itching at times but the discharge has no odor.i thought it would've stopped after my period but it hasn' it something i should be worried about?

Did you find this post helpful?

User Profile
replied September 25th, 2010
Sexual Health - Women Answer A16296
Hi, and thanks for your medical question on eHealth forum!

Yes, you should be worried. A thin watery discharge all throughout is not a normal feature is generally due to genital herpes. At times the sores are not visible and the only thing that remains abnormal is a watery discharge. It can also be atrophic vaginitis which is common in post menopausal women and in your case heralds a hormonal imbalance. It could also be chlamydial infection or even gonorrhea.

Hence it is important to get a complete STD and a complete hormonal panel (estrogen, progesterone, FSH, LH, prolactin, thyroid) done. It could also be due to infection in the uterus, cervicitis, vaginal infection. An ultrasound via vaginal route or a uteroscope inserted via vaginal route to look at the condition of the cervix, uterus etc, a PAP smear, a vaginal swab test, a culture of the vaginal discharge, a complete STD panel are probably what are required. It could also be an allergic reaction to soaps, cosmetics, douches, razor etc that you use. Hence eliminate them one by one and see if it helps.

It is difficult to comment beyond this at this stage. Do consult your doctor/ gynecologist. Hope this helps. Take care!

Did you find this post helpful?
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Sexual Health - Women , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.