Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Abdominal Pain Forum

Slight swelling in lower right side, random sharp pain

Me: 20 y/o female, 5ft5, 135lbs. (I have been losing some weight so I don't think I am pregnant.)

A week or two ago I was having this weird feeling, like tugging, in my belly button. A few days ago i noticed that the right side of my tummy, starting in the lower right quarter of my belly button and going about two - three inches down and about the same to the right, maybe a bit further, was swollen. It isn't super noticeable unless you look right in my belly button because I have some tummy fat, but the right is absolutely swollen. It isn't very tender, sometimes it feels like there is a bruise but there isn't. I have had this sharp tearing pain but it is very random and hasn't been bed enough for an ER visit. When I walk it hurts but it is very dull.

I have a doctors apt on monday but I am worried that this could be something bad.

I am not sure if this is related but it seems like it is (TMI sort of period stuff below just a heads up...)

I usually have normal/ heavy periods that last about 5-6 days. This time it started off very light, the next day i had about 12 hours of soaking a regular tampon in like an hour and a half (this is really unusual) and then it tapered off that night. The bleeding only lasted 2-3 days and the last bit was this strange copper color as opposed to bright red or brown. This is pretty strange for me.

None of these things are bad enough to send me to the ER but they are a bit worrisome. While the belly doesnt cause me constant pain it still just feels strange..
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied May 19th, 2014
please help :/
The swelling spread towards my hip, the doctor doesnt feel anything and my ultrasound and blood tests didnt help. Any ideas would be great
|

User Profile
replied May 19th, 2014
Hi,
Welcome to ehealthforum,
Altered and lighter bleeding during periods could indicate possibility of pregnancy if you had been sexually active after last normal periods. It is also difficult to comment on the exact cause for the abnormal abdominal sensation and pain that you describe without examining you and going ahead with further evaluation. If worried, consider visiting your doctor/gynecologist at the earliest for further examination and evaluation to look for the underlying cause and get started on treatment as appropriate (based on examination findings and evaluation results) to help you control the symptoms. Be in regular monitoring and follow-up with your treating doctor/gynecologist and report any new/abnormal symptoms immediately.
Take care.

|

replied May 19th, 2014
I saw a doctor. I got an ultrasound and blood tests. They didnt find anything wrong. The swelling isn't huge and bulbous. The doctor said she didn't see any swelling and what she does see just seems like normal asymmetry. I understand what that means but asymmetry doesn't happen over night. My boyfriend also notices the difference and I just don't feel right. But none of this seems to make an impact on my doctor (she is a college clinic doctor so i'm sure people complain about stupid things to her all day) and I am not a person who tends to complain about little things like this.
|

replied January 5th, 2017
Wow.. You and me have the same symptoms, including the one on the nipple. My reply is two years late, but I hope I can hear from you on the cause of those issues. Im freaking myself at the moment wondering about all sorts of nasty illnesses. Sending you postive thoughts and energy!
|
Must Read
Abdominal pain and bellyaches are common. Though most cases of abdominal pain aren't serious, sometimes you will need to see a doctor. We’ll review some of...
Abdominal pain can be uncomfortable but is very common. But when is pain in the abdomen serious? Learn how to describe your symptoms more accurately so that yo...
It's important to "know your pain" to help your doctor diagnose the reason behind abdominal pain. Read on for more tools and information about how to diagnose ...
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Abdominal Pain , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.