Medical Questions > Mental Health > Anxiety and Stress Forum

Sleep problems and negative thinking...

User Profile
Okay, here is the problem.

I don't know if there is actually something wrong with me, but thing's have been changing so I figured I'd ask.
For the past 4-5 months I have felt extremely exhausted no matter how much sleep I get, I find it hard to sleep in general. I usually toss and turn, or just lay awake for a while. I am having trouble thinking about the future in a positive way, I find myself worrying about stuff that hasn't/might not even happen; like I cannot turn my mind off. My period has even been irregular for the past two-three months, which is just adding to my worry. I find myself extremely irritable also, a lot more so than I used to be which is having an effect on my relationship with my boyfriend. The sleep problems and negative thinking are catching up on me.

Am I just stressed, or should I go and see a doctor about this?
I am only twenty, it's very hard to handle this with school ect.

Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper User Profile DoctorQuestion
|

User Profile
replied November 27th, 2010
Anxiety and Stress Answer A17344
Hi,

Welcome to the forum. Such symptoms can be due to anemia,chronic fatigue syndrome,hypothyroidism, disorders of the hypothalamus,psychiatric disorders like depression and sleep-related breathing disorders.

It is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination and investigations and the answer is based on the medical information provided. For exact diagnosis, you are requested to consult your doctor. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care.
|
Did you find this post helpful?
Must Read
Learn how doctors clinically diagnose one of twelve kinds of anxiety disorders...and which doctors you should see for an anxiety diagnosis....
Anxiety disorders can affect anyone. But do you know the common signs and symptoms of anxiety disorders? Learn more now....
Anxiety is a normal, healthy emotion when experienced during specific moments. But do you know the signs that anxiety has gotten out of control? Read more here...
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Anxiety and Stress , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.