User Profile
For probably 15 years I've had a tendency to sleep too much during the day. I am always sleeping probably 9-10 hours unless I am using an alarm and have my family make sure I'm up and doing things. It is becoming bothersome because the desire to nap for me in the afternoons is becoming quite bothersome.

I started falling asleep at work and at some meetings I attend. It's caused me to have some issues with my job (at times) but luckily I've had understanding co-workers and a boss that knows that I have some health issues that cause my fatigue to be worse some days.

I recently fell asleep while driving during the day and was in an automobile accident. Family is concerned about why I am falling asleep sometimes and nobody really seems to know why except they say I'm a deep sleeper I guess.

What could be happening? Can that falling asleep during the day be helped ?

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied May 15th, 2019
Sleep Disorders Answer A64987
Thank you for asking at Ehealth forum!
I read your question and I understand your concern.
It could be due to sleep disturbance at night time,hypothyroidism or alteration of circadian rhythm. I would suggest you to have sleep studies and thyroid function tests to rule out organic cause.
I hope it helps. Stay in touch with your healthcare provider for further guidance as our answers are just for education and counselling purposes and cannot be an alternative to actual visit to a doctor.
Take care
Khan

|
Did you find this post helpful?
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Sleep Disorders , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.