User Profile
I'm having trouble with disordered sleep cycles or sleeping and waking at different times. I am in a place where the weather is really cold and winter-like already and it gets dark quite early around 5:15 P.M. or so. I also live in Iowa in the US and it's pretty cold here and cloudy nearly every day this time of year basically until there is a streak of sunny days or until spring. I am having a hard time sleeping with this time of year especially since the early sunset disrupts my ability to coordinate day and night. I have been on melatonin 15-20 mg for 6 years which sounds crazy, but I've had multiple sleep appointments and a sleep study and I just do not sleep well without melatonin. I am trying hard to cut back on the melatonin, but as for the sleep-cycle regulation I'm frustrated as I am exercising, doing light therapy, doing counseling, but not feeling any relief from this time of year. I've had to be on Mirtazapine 15 mg in the past short-term, but I don't like taking it.

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied November 17th, 2017
Sleep Disorders Answer A62559
Thank you for asking at Ehealth forum!

I read your question and i understand your concern. Melatonin is used for 8 to 12 weeks to get the sleep cycle. Long nights may cause such sleep disturbance. Try to go to bed around 10 and 11 pm. Wake up earliest possible. Have dinner before 8 pm. Go to bed hour before sleep time. Turn off wifi and cell phone and lights in room. Sleep therapist will tell you some mind exercises to get to the sleep.

I hope it helps. Stay in touch with your healthcare provider for further guidance as our answers are just for education and counselling purposes and cannot be an alternative to actual visit to a doctor.
Take care
Khan

|
Did you find this post helpful?
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Sleep Disorders , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.