Medical Questions > General Forum Topics > Diagnostics & Test Results Forum

Sleep Cycles Effect on Blood Test Results

Hello,

I recently saw an endocrinologist who ordered a set of lab tests to test for adrenal insufficiency or another cause for my current symptoms. She told me she believed I have Hashimotos and a goiter. I have been on levothyroxine 100mg for about three years for hypothyroidism.

In November 2012, I developed some extremely debilitating symptoms, most notably, an intense need to close my eyes (not sleepiness per se) as well as dizziness/lightheartedness, extreme fatigue, pain in my forehead and between my eyes and shortness of breath. This occurred about two months after a short cessation (three weeks) and then reduction (50 mcg) of levothyroxine. I had been experiencing insomnia for several months and so, on some bad advice, reduced the medication. Since late December 2012, I have been using a Zeo sleep monitor that shows that I am sleeping. I am now taking synthroid 125mcg but the above symptoms persist.

The issue I have is that the tests are ordered to be performed at 8AM. I have, for many years had delayed sleep-phase disorder. I go to sleep around 3-4 AM and wake up between 12-1 PM. The only relief I get from my symptoms is sleep, so the idea of having to stay up one night in order to get up in “my middle of the night” to get a “morning” reading for the labs is fairly stressful. I am not a person that can nap during the day.

I also wonder how accurate they would be since 8AM is not my morning. I called my doctor's secretary and asked her to ask the doctor and she said 8 AM. I have read that the test should be done in the morning, but that if you're a person who sleeps during the day and is up at night, it would be reversed. So, would having the test done during a time that is not MY natural morning cause the test to be inaccurate for the purpose of diagnosing adrenal insufficiency or an issue with my pituitary gland? I have listed the tests ordered below. Any information you could provide would be most appreciated.

AC1, TSH, T-4, Anti-Thyroglob AB, Anti-Microsome (TPO), Prolactin, DHEAS, Cortisol, ACTH, B12, Vitiam D 25 - Hydroxy
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied March 24th, 2013
Especially eHealthy
JCarol,

It might affect the cortisol testing, but it should not affect any of the other tests.

You might want to contact the lab where you are going to have the tests drawn, and ask if there is anything you need to do special for the tests.

Good luck.
|
Did you find this post helpful?