Medical Questions > Mental Health > Sleep Disorders Forum

Sleep apnea , gout and depression

User Profile
I am 48 y/o, w/m diagnosed with gout many years ago, and have recurrent episodes more frequently now, as I have aged, kind of rapidly after my accident,which of course is exacerbated by the onset of depression. Sleep apnea, as well, being a problem which seems to be directly related both to my gout and depression, and if I am thinking right stress as well is involved in this vicious circle that I need to break. I guess what I was wanting to know was are these problems perpetuating each other ? Thanks!
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied September 10th, 2009
It is extremely possible that these problems are perpetuating each other. My husband experienced the same thing! I urge you to get treatment for your sleep apnea and the depression and gout along with any other symptoms you may be experiencing. Also have your vitamin D levels checked and consider taking a really good vitamin B12 supplement along with a powerful multi vitamin. Depending on how long you have struggled with this it may take some time to overcome these issues, however the vitamins and other prescription meds you may need will provide immediate relief. You can overcome all of this. It is like dominos, stress sets it off and unless you stop it, it will continue. It's fully within your power to stop it. If one doctor won't help you find another. We have found that natural thinking doctors have helped the most and alternative treatments like accupuncture help a lot too. Look into adrenal fatigue as well as it often accompanies stress.
|

Oh, vitamin B12 can only be taken through injection or sublingually. Don't bother wasting your money on pills, they are not effective and cannot be absorbed. Dr Mercola has a good sublingual vitamin B12 but I'm sure there are others too.
|

User Profile
Thank you for the insight applegreen. I've got to start somewhere. I have an appt. soon to address the sleeping problem. Again thank you!
|

replied September 11th, 2009
alleycat220,

The sleep "test" will be the easiest you have ever taken because it's painless, you just go to sleep!

Be your own health advocate. Look stuff up on the web, read read read. I would recommend Dr Mercola's website.

If a doctor doesn't/won't/can't help you, fire him/her and find another. I'm so happy that you are taking control of your health, that's wonderful!

Please, at least have your vitamin D levels checked too. It's really important for your health for so many reasons. If the doctor asks why you want the test, say fatigue or look up some of the other symptoms on Mercola's website. If the doctor gives you a hard time he's not a good doctor. Demand it, you are paying for service after all. You need to make sure he checks your Vitamin D levels with the 25(OH)D test. He can look it up if he's unfamiliar with it.

You need to know that the road back to health will be at least as long as the road was to your current health status. Your body has been through a lot. While it might take months or even years, each day you will feel better and you'll never want to go back. Be patient with yourself and see every small improvement as a victory over illness because that's what it is! I wish you the best of health.
|

User Profile
replied September 11th, 2009
Thank you very much for your encouragement , you just don't know how much that means to me. God bless! I should be getting my CPAP machine soon!
|

replied September 28th, 2009
alleycat220,

Let us know how you're doing. Did you get the machine yet?

Initially, my husband felt silly with the CPAP mask, he has the one over the nose and mouth. He said he felt like an astronaut or scuba diver! He didn't like wearing it and even thought it wouldn't help much. Well, after a few months of REAL sleep, now you couldn't pry it from his hands if you tried! He refuses to sleep without it and says it's changed his life. Funny, but the nurse at the sleep clinic said it would go just like this, lol!

Did you know that sleep apnea is related to and often a by-product of hypothyroidism? It's a little known fact but true. Sleep apnea often will begin as a result of hypothyroidism. You should really have yourself checked out. You'll need blood tests (TSH, Free T3 and Free T4) and you'll need a doctor who knows how to diagnose on symptoms not only blood test results. Some of the big symptoms are weight gain, fatigue, hair loss or thinning, forgetfullness, etc...

I suggest you do some reading up on it at Mary Shomon's site. She's just the best there is and THE most knowledgeable patient advocate in the USA! Another really good one is Stop the thyroid madness. I would very HIGHLY recommend that you find a doctor near you from the "topthyroiddocs" list (you can google it) and see him/her for testing. The 2 BIG problems with hypothyroidism is getting diagnosed and then getting on the right medication. This website will help you find a doc that will do that for you. Those of us that have used it owe our lives to it!

There are natural and synthetic drugs out there. Natural medicines are FAR FAR better and will actually help your symptoms improve. It's a long story but you can look it up and read about it yourself if it applies to you.

If this applies to you, I also HIGHLY recommend an easy to read book by Dr Mark Starr, "Hypothyroidism - Type 2" which has info and pictures in it that will astonish you!

My husband has hypothyroidism along with the other issues you mentioned. Your cases sound so similar!
|
Must Read
Gout is a common type of arthritis and accounts for about 5% of all cases of arthritic condition. But what is gout and what are the stages of this condition?...
Gout manifest for physical reasons...but what puts you at a greater risk of developing the disease? What risk factors should you avoid?...
Gout present symptoms mainly in the joints. Learn which signs to look for, and when you should seek medical help and diagnosis of gout....