Medical Questions > Womens Health > Birth Control Forum

Skipped period for 4 months - not not starting

Must Read
Birth control is helpful in preventing pregnancy. Need to know more about birth control? Start here to learn more about popular methods of birth control....
You have many birth control options. Each works differently. What are the choices and what should you consider in order to help you make your decision? ...
Each method of birth control comes with risks to your health. What are the general problems you could encounter?...
User Profile
I intentionally took the pill (microgestin) to skip my period for 4 months and now I am not getting my period. I stopped taking the pill last week, and usually that will start my period but my period has yet to start. It has been 8 days since I stopped the pill. I am not pregnant- took 2 tests, both negative.
I am achy and bloated and uncomfortable. What is going on?? Am I going to be okay?? I feel like I am going to start any day now, but I felt that way 8 days ago too.
Usually when I would miss my pills I would spot right away, but this is not the case. Nothing is happening. Help! I'm worried. Can I do something to help my period start??

Did you find this post helpful?

User Profile
replied December 15th, 2010
Birth Control Answer A17784
Welcome to ehealthforum.
Hormonal contraceptive pills can alter your periods cycles and hormonal cycle. You will need a thorough check done by a gynecologist (along with hormonal analysis and ultrasound scan) to see what is going on. If you suspect pregnancy to be the cause for your absent periods, then request for a blood beta HCG level test to confirm/rule out pregnancy. Urine pregnancy tests cannot be relied upon for accurate results as there is high incidence of false negative test results due to less concentration of pregnancy hormone (HCG) in urine.
If pregnancy gets ruled out, then treatment will be started to help you get your periods back on track.
Take care.

Did you find this post helpful?
This question has been answered by the doctor. This topic is now open for public discussion, however no comments below this point will be answered by a doctor.
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Birth Control , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.