User Profile
Do you have any idea what this might be? Dermitogist thinks it's a reaction with my med. for blood pressure (diovan hct 80/12.5 and amlodipine 10mg) or plavixor... or vytorin 10-80 mg. Allergist just says that I'm old, I smoke and I work in the sun.

Did you find this post helpful?
Users who thank DoctorQuestion for this post: tomsimmons 

User Profile
replied June 23rd, 2008
Inflammatory and Abnormal Cell Disorders Answer A4304
Current medical status: rash, covering head, upper torso, arms. I have this for 3 months and IT ITCHES!!!!
Current medical treatment: Have been to my dr., which sent me to a dermitogist, and an allergiest which has given me so many types of med. and salves... but still rash persist. Some of the med. has relieved the itching but still persists. Med. prescribed prednisone 10 mg, ranitdine 150 mg, fexofenadine 180 mg. Salves are ..... triamcinolon, desoximetasone usp, 0.25%, and a foam which is clobetasol popionate.

A skin rash can be due to many reasons. Allergy to the medications you take for the blood pressure is one of the possibilities that can be easily checked if you stop taking that medicine. Photo-allergy is another possibility that can be revealed if you avoid the sun. There are specific skin tests that are used for detecting allergies to specific substances.

A skin rash can also be due to an infection. Certain viral infections (chickenpox, measles, rubella…) are mainly indicated by a skin rash. Other viral infections (like Hepatitis B) can be indicated by an allergic reaction (skin rash) besides other symptoms. You can request a standard blood test (blood count, sedimentation, AST, ALT, CRP, urea, creatinin…) and several serological blood tests to exclude these possibilities.

You may want to consult a dermatologist about your case.

Did you find this post helpful?
Must Read
What causes allergies? We review risk factors and common allergens in this intro to allergies section....
What causes an allergy? Who is more likely to develop allergies? More here....
Which allergy symptoms are serious signs of allergic reaction and which are merely bothersome? Common types of allergy symptoms and allergic reactions here....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Inflammatory and Abnormal Cell Disorders , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.